Tresarus (Fore An' Aft)

  • Elaina McCartney
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2011
      Using Billy Atkin's Fore An' Aft design, Russell Dyer built Tresarus in
      South Freeport, Maine in 1959. She's been in the McCartney family for
      almost 25 years (sailing the coast between Massachusetts and Maine, and
      more recently on Cayuga Lake in Ithaca, New York). All her spars,
      standing and running rigging, sails, deck, solar panel, fuel tanks and
      engine are in good shape (Westerbeke 30 Three B, 608 hours). Eight years
      ago she had some frames replaced, some planking repaired, and a new
      transom done at Cayuga Wooden Boatworks. Two years ago she had beautiful
      new stem put in by Justin Armstrong, and last year a new forefoot and a
      section of the cabin roof replaced. Last year she got a new topmast when
      the original snapped in a severe storm. She had a good survey spring 2011
      for insurance, but just this fall when she was hauled out for winter
      storage I noticed some bad frame ends about the middle of the cabin down
      near the sole. On thorough investigation, it appears that it is time to
      replace the rest of the frames that were not replaced 8 years ago, if she
      is to stay seaworthy. There is also some strip planking that could stand
      attention, and the covering boards are overdue. Unfortunately, I do not
      have the resources to take on this additional work, well-deserved as it
      is, because of its labor-intensive nature. She's a beautiful boat, admired
      by all who see her, but at a turning point in her life where she needs
      someone with the skills and resources to either replace many of her frames
      and attend to some of her planking and covering boards, or (as I
      fantasize) make her a nice new hull. And her cabin could stand
      re-varnishing. During my 8-year tenure as her owner (my brother Mike was
      previous owner) I have assembled an "owner's manual" of all the things
      she's taught me about sailing, rigging, boat maintenance, and her
      particular characteristics, which I will pass on to the next owner. She's
      set up for single-handing. Contact me by email if you are interested.
      Here are a few pictures that show her character:
      http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Photos/ForeAnAft/ForeAnAft-03.jpg
      2006 on Cayuga Lake:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/279550889
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/309937871/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/875373165/
      and a set of pictures taken this fall right after haulout:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/emccartney/sets/72157627888765026/
      Of course I have thousands of other pictures, and the plans...

      Elaina
    • John Frodigh
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2011
        Hello Elaina, so sorry to hear that you are letting her go. I hope someone will keep her as well as you did. I heard that the original Fore an Aft may be restored, and my own Scarlet Queen will hopefully get wet next summer.

        Regards,

        John Frodigh

[...]

        This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission.Copyright 2011 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential
      • Elaina McCartney
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 21, 2011
          Thanks--I already have a good lead on someone who would care well for her, so we'll see.  I love the Scarlet Queen, and I did hear about the Fore an Aft being restored, I think it's near Albany and I've been meaning to pay a visit.
          Best wishes,
          Elaina

          From: John Frodigh <John.Frodigh@...>
          Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:07:14 -0400
          To: "AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com" <AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [AtkinBoats] RE: Tresarus (Fore An' Aft)

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 21, 2011
            It seems to me that the right builder and the on board equipment combined could get bank financing to create what would be essentially a new boat with a lot of appeal. Whether you got to keep her or not it might profit you more to sound out some builders.

            Mike Dolph