Re: Power for Ninigret

  • jj_warde
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 14, 2011
      Just spotted your posting from mid-September.

      I have a Ninigret built in 2000 by Tony Bries (Freedom Boats); pictures of our and his boat are on the Atkin website. Both are powered by a 25hp 4-stroke Merc "Bigfoot" short-shaft (15"). That set-up allows transom mounting and low-profile covered enclosure like the original plans illustrate. That motor has worked very well in terms of fuel consumption, power and being very quiet. I did have the original carburator replaced with an "updated/improved" issue. The Bigfoot swings a larger prop than the standard Merc 25. Tony experimented with different props and settled with a 12"/10 ½"/3RH merc blackmax #48-427 40A11. In flat water it tops out at 18 mph (confirmed by GPS) and has torque for river current and steep chop.

      I have done some research for a potential replacement. One that I've considered is a 30 hp 4-stoke 15" short shaft from Tohatsu (model #MFS30BEPTS). It weights 178lbs with electric start/tilt with remote steering.
      You also may be interested to know that there are 40hp 15" short-shafts still being made but in 2-stoke. Both Tohatsu (# MD40B2EPTOS) and Nissan (# NSD40B2EPTO1) have such motors; both weigh about 210lbs.
      Hope this may be of help you and other Ninigret owners.
      Best regards,
      JJ Ward

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 18, 2011
        Good info. Thanks, JJ. How does your Ninigret perform with a load? That's
        more important, in many cases, than top speed with a light load. Bill
        Childs, of Bartender Boats, had a 19' Bartender with a cuddy powered by a
        25 hp. Honda. It performed quite well, and economically with just he and
        his wife aboard, but bogged down when he took a couple more people along
        (I recall one trip across Port Townsend with five or six people aboard
        when we could only manage displacement speeds). Now Bill recommends a
        35-40 hp. for 19' bartenders. You can cruise at low throttle settings most
        of the time, but have extra oomph when you need to carry a load. There's a
        lot to be said for running a motor at a quieter, less taxing throttle
        setting most of the time.

        Tohatsus are good motors. I've had three of their 4-strokes so far and
        haven't had any trouble with them, except that the 3.5 must have had the
        idle mixture set on a Friday or Monday at the factory. <g> I had to drill
        out the plug that's supposed to keep you from fooling with the idle
        mixture and set it myself. Tohatsu makes Nissan outboards, and the
        4-stroke Mercuries. I've got a 3.5 hp. with the cheap Tohatsu decals; a 5
        hp. with the more expensive Nissan decals; and a 9.9 Merc with the most
        expensive decals of all. ;o) (though some Mercury models, including my
        Bigfoot, have features the Tohatsu and Nissan branded motors don't...)

        On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:41:48 -0700, JJ wrote:

        > I have a Ninigret built in 2000 by Tony Bries (Freedom Boats); pictures
        > of our and his boat are on the Atkin website. Both are powered by a
        > 25hp 4-stroke Merc "Bigfoot" short-shaft (15"). That set-up allows
        > transom mounting and low-profile covered enclosure like the original
        > plans illustrate. That motor has worked very well in terms of fuel
        > consumption, power and being very quiet.
        > In flat water it tops out at 18 mph (confirmed by GPS) and has torque
        > for river current and steep chop.
        >
        > I have done some research for a potential replacement. One that I've
        > considered is a 30 hp 4-stoke 15" short shaft from Tohatsu (model
        > #MFS30BEPTS). It weights 178lbs with electric start/tilt with remote
        > steering.
        > You also may be interested to know that there are 40hp 15" short-shafts
        > still being made but in 2-stoke. Both Tohatsu (# MD40B2EPTOS) and
        > Nissan (# NSD40B2EPTO1) have such motors; both weigh about 210lbs.

        John (jkohnen@...)
        There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music
        and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)
      • Edgar Boyd
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 18, 2011
          Thanks to JJ and John for your input.

          I've decided to go with a 40hp Honda for my Ninigret build. Wanting to have power in reserve is certainly one reason, and is more important than speed although that can be nice, too.

          Also, dealers are making the point that 20" shaft motors will last longer that 15" shafts because they don't get wet or doused as often, especially key in salt water..

          The negatives, of course, are the added weight and the cost, but overall I'm happy with the decision. 40hp is no longer considered above the norm for Ninigret.

          Bill

          > Good info. Thanks, JJ. How does your Ninigret perform with a load? That's
          > more important, in many cases, than top speed with a light load. Bill
          > Childs, of Bartender Boats, had a 19' Bartender with a cuddy powered by a
          > 25 hp. Honda. It performed quite well, and economically with just he and
          > his wife aboard, but bogged down when he took a couple more people along
          > (I recall one trip across Port Townsend with five or six people aboard
          > when we could only manage displacement speeds). Now Bill recommends a
          > 35-40 hp. for 19' bartenders. You can cruise at low throttle settings most
          > of the time, but have extra oomph when you need to carry a load. There's a
          > lot to be said for running a motor at a quieter, less taxing throttle
          > setting most of the time.
          >
          > Tohatsus are good motors. I've had three of their 4-strokes so far and
          > haven't had any trouble with them, except that the 3.5 must have had the
          > idle mixture set on a Friday or Monday at the factory. <g> I had to drill
          > out the plug that's supposed to keep you from fooling with the idle
          > mixture and set it myself. Tohatsu makes Nissan outboards, and the
          > 4-stroke Mercuries. I've got a 3.5 hp. with the cheap Tohatsu decals; a 5
          > hp. with the more expensive Nissan decals; and a 9.9 Merc with the most
          > expensive decals of all. ;o) (though some Mercury models, including my
          > Bigfoot, have features the Tohatsu and Nissan branded motors don't...)
          >
          > On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:41:48 -0700, JJ wrote:

          > > I have a Ninigret built in 2000 by Tony Bries (Freedom Boats); pictures
          > > of our and his boat are on the Atkin website. Both are powered by a
          > > 25hp 4-stroke Merc "Bigfoot" short-shaft (15"). That set-up allows
          > > transom mounting and low-profile covered enclosure like the original
          > > plans illustrate. That motor has worked very well in terms of fuel
          > > consumption, power and being very quiet.
          > > In flat water it tops out at 18 mph (confirmed by GPS) and has torque
          > > for river current and steep chop.
          > >
          > > I have done some research for a potential replacement. One that I've
          > > considered is a 30 hp 4-stoke 15" short shaft from Tohatsu (model
          > > #MFS30BEPTS). It weights 178lbs with electric start/tilt with remote
          > > steering.
          > > You also may be interested to know that there are 40hp 15" short-shafts
          > > still being made but in 2-stoke. Both Tohatsu (# MD40B2EPTOS) and
          > > Nissan (# NSD40B2EPTO1) have such motors; both weigh about 210lbs.

          > John (jkohnen@...)
          > There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music
          > and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

        • jj_warde
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 20, 2011
            Hi Bill:

            I tried a Ninigret with 50hp; that was overkill and the motor's tall dog house did not fit clean looks that J. Atkin originally drew. With 4+ aboard the Bigfoot Merc 25 4-stroke does fine. I've found that balancing the load is key with its semi-displacement hull design. With 2 in the cuddy, 2 in fixed seats and 2 in folding canvas chairs in the cockpit it doesn't "bog-down." That motor has more "beef" that a std 25. You will understand if you ever see its crankshaft. Good luck with you new machine.

            JJ

          • jj_warde
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 21, 2011
              The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house" unsightly.
              I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
              A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The crankshaft is a brute.
              Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.

              JJ

              > Good info. Thanks, JJ. How does your Ninigret perform with a load? That's
              > more important, in many cases, than top speed with a light load. Bill
              > Childs, of Bartender Boats, had a 19' Bartender with a cuddy powered by a
              > 25 hp. Honda. It performed quite well, and economically with just he and
              > his wife aboard, but bogged down when he took a couple more people along
              > (I recall one trip across Port Townsend with five or six people aboard
              > when we could only manage displacement speeds). Now Bill recommends a
              > 35-40 hp. for 19' bartenders. You can cruise at low throttle settings most
              > of the time, but have extra oomph when you need to carry a load. There's a
              > lot to be said for running a motor at a quieter, less taxing throttle
              > setting most of the time.
              >
              > Tohatsus are good motors. I've had three of their 4-strokes so far and
              > haven't had any trouble with them, except that the 3.5 must have had the
              > idle mixture set on a Friday or Monday at the factory. <g> I had to drill
              > out the plug that's supposed to keep you from fooling with the idle
              > mixture and set it myself. Tohatsu makes Nissan outboards, and the
              > 4-stroke Mercuries. I've got a 3.5 hp. with the cheap Tohatsu decals; a 5
              > hp. with the more expensive Nissan decals; and a 9.9 Merc with the most
              > expensive decals of all. ;o) (though some Mercury models, including my
              > Bigfoot, have features the Tohatsu and Nissan branded motors don't...)
              >
              > On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:41:48 -0700, JJ wrote:

              > > I have a Ninigret built in 2000 by Tony Bries (Freedom Boats); pictures
              > > of our and his boat are on the Atkin website. Both are powered by a
              > > 25hp 4-stroke Merc "Bigfoot" short-shaft (15"). That set-up allows
              > > transom mounting and low-profile covered enclosure like the original
              > > plans illustrate. That motor has worked very well in terms of fuel
              > > consumption, power and being very quiet.
              > > In flat water it tops out at 18 mph (confirmed by GPS) and has torque
              > > for river current and steep chop.
              > >
              > > I have done some research for a potential replacement. One that I've
              > > considered is a 30 hp 4-stoke 15" short shaft from Tohatsu (model
              > > #MFS30BEPTS). It weights 178lbs with electric start/tilt with remote
              > > steering.
              > > You also may be interested to know that there are 40hp 15" short-shafts
              > > still being made but in 2-stoke. Both Tohatsu (# MD40B2EPTOS) and
              > > Nissan (# NSD40B2EPTO1) have such motors; both weigh about 210lbs.

              > John (jkohnen@...)
              > There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music
              > and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

            • Edgar Boyd
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 22, 2011
                Thanks, JJ,

                Very useful. Do you happen to know/have you ever heard how Ninigret does with a 30hp Honda?? (55 pounds lighter than the Honda 40)

                Bill

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2011
                  Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
                  pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
                  recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
                  power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
                  just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
                  especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
                  recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
                  outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

                  On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:13:28 -0700, JJ wrote:

                  > The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've
                  > found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is
                  > balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a
                  > reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret
                  > and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house"
                  > unsightly.
                  > I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to
                  > the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to
                  > use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
                  > A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard
                  > 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The
                  > crankshaft is a brute.
                  > Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and
                  > design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.

                  --
                  John (jkohnen@...)
                  The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
                  of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
                  blood. (Logan Pearsall Smith)
                • jj_warde
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 11, 2011
                    Hi John:

                    I use a 25 hp Merc Bigfoot which is a 4-stroke. It is a 2000 so it's got a carb. Merc still makes a 15" short-shaft fuel-injected 4-stokes in 30 & 40hp with remote steering. However the Bigfoot 40 hp is a 20 shaft.
                    JJ

                    > Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
                    > pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
                    > recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
                    > power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
                    > just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
                    > especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
                    > recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
                    > outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

                    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:13:28 -0700, JJ wrote:
                    >

                    > > The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've
                    > > found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is
                    > > balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a
                    > > reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret
                    > > and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house"
                    > > unsightly.
                    > > I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to
                    > > the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to
                    > > use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
                    > > A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard
                    > > 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The
                    > > crankshaft is a brute.
                    > > Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and
                    > > design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.
                    >
                    > --
                    > John (jkohnen@...)
                    > The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
                    > of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
                    > blood. (Logan Pearsall Smith)

                  • Edgar Boyd
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 13, 2011
                      Thanks again for all the comments relating to powering Ninigret. Largely because of this input I've changed my mind and decided to go with a 30hp short shaft Honda 4 stroke. The Honda 30 weighs the same as the 25.

                      Bill B

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "jj_warde" <jj_warde@...> wrote:

                      > Hi John:
                      >
                      > I use a 25 hp Merc Bigfoot which is a 4-stroke. It is a 2000 so it's got a carb. Merc still makes a 15" short-shaft fuel-injected 4-stokes in 30 & 40hp with remote steering. However the Bigfoot 40 hp is a 20 shaft.
                      > JJ
                      >

                      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
                      > > pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
                      > > recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
                      > > power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
                      > > just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
                      > > especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
                      > > recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
                      > > outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

                      > > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:13:28 -0700, JJ wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've
                      > > > found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is
                      > > > balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a
                      > > > reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret
                      > > > and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house"
                      > > > unsightly.
                      > > > I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to
                      > > > the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to
                      > > > use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
                      > > > A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard
                      > > > 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The
                      > > > crankshaft is a brute.
                      > > > Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and
                      > > > design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > John (jkohnen@)
                      > > The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
                      > > of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
                      > > blood. (Logan Pearsall Smith)

                    • manyboat
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 24, 2011
                        I'm not usually a fan of Honda's but for Ninigret I'd say it's ideal in that ity's 30hp. Also it's a 3 cylinder engine instead of a twin. Twin cyl 2 strokes are quite smooth but 4 stroke twins are'nt as smooth. Think of a oldTriumph motorcycle. But a bigger advantage of the honda 30 is that it's the biggest OB engine available with carbs. I have a 40 and a 60hp OB with fuel injection and it scares me a bit.....they are so heavy and complicated. So if I had a Ninigret I'd be looking at the Honda 30.