ID this Boat?

  • Bruce Elfstrom
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28 1:35 PM
      Hello. I am new to this site.

      I am hoping that someone here may be able to give me an idea if my
      boat is an Atkin design or a Colin Archer or....

      I have posted pix on a web site---please take a peak and help me if
      you can. http://www.classicworkboat.com

      Cheers, Bruce
    • William E. Parker
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28 7:03 PM
        Hi Bruce, welcome to the list. I like the idea for a workboat site. I like
        the lines of the Gloucester Sloop boat...very like some pilot boat lines I
        have seen. Were they ever used as pilot boats?
        I am hoping that someone here may be able to give me an idea if my
        boat is an Atkin design or a Colin Archer or....

        I have posted pix on a web site---please take a peak and help me if
        you can. http://www.classicworkboat.com

        Cheers, Bruce

        No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
        polite.

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Bruce Elfstrom
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29 3:54 PM
          I have not found any info about their use as Pilot boats, instead
          they were cheap replacements for the Gloucester Schooners,---I think
          something to do with taxes and market and fish stocks. I do think
          they look similar to the Bristol Channel Pilot Cutters. The men who
          built them and or ran them were after similar things---good in all
          weather, fast (to market in this case), and able to sail with one or
          two people.

          I do not think any of these original Gloucester sloop boats are
          around now with the exception of Great Republic---but she is mush
          smaller and not a work boat.

          I would like to see the historical pride the British have in their
          BBCs for our past---the only thing close is for our Friendship Sloops
          and the Maine Coaster Schooners.

          Any clue about the Atkin type boat on my site.? I just took a few
          more pictures at a set level with a 50 millimeter lens----she is very
          close in lines to Wild Duck, but 2 feet longer and 1.25 feet more in
          beam. Seems that she may just be a scaled up version of Wild Duck----
          but I do not know.

          Cheers, Bruce