Pictures from the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival 2011

  • stu
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13, 2011
      Hi, folks,

      my pics from WBF-35

      It was a great festival, perfect weather, and wonderful boats.

      My own Ripple, and Barakah, her sistership, were there.  We raced in the 26 and under race on friday, and Barakah prevailed.  She sails a bit faster into the wind, and we did, downwind.  I think the deciding factor was that we on Ripple tried to set the spindrifter, and it took so long to set that Barakah sailed away from us.

      It was enormous fun!

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/weibel-lines/sets/72157627662440214/

      stu
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2011
        Good pictures, Stu! Thanks for putting them online. But where's a shot of
        that funny little black-hulled motorboat with the fuschia stripe under her
        sheer? <g> I think I got some good shots of Ripple during the sail-by.
        I'll have some online before too long...

        It was a great Festival! Lots and lots of interesting boats, and I met
        some real nice people and made some new friends. :o)

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
          Yes, Thanks much Stu for the great pictures. In the parlance of the O'Brian
          novels, in my opinion, a spinnaker on each mast (Martha) is "topping it a
          bit high." Does anyone know anything about "Native Girl"? Her designer?

          Would have given much to be there. Many schooners in one place.

          Good pictures, Stu! Thanks for putting them online. But where's a shot of
          that funny little black-hulled motorboat with the fuschia stripe under her
          sheer? <g> I think I got some good shots of Ripple during the sail-by.
          I'll have some online before too long...

          It was a great Festival! Lots and lots of interesting boats, and I met some
          real nice people and made some new friends. :o)

          On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:52:42 -0700, stu wrote:

          > my pics from WBF-35

          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/weibel-lines/sets/72157627662440214/

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first.
          (Joshua Slocum)

          ------------------------------------

          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
            Looks like a lot of fun, and great scenery. Any idea what design that launch in pic IMG_2765 is? It just looks right to me and I am looking for a design to build.

            Greg.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, stu <stuart.weibel@...> wrote:

            > Hi, folks,
            >
            > my pics from WBF-35

          • stu
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
              funny, I asked Mike (the owner/builder) that same thing... he said he just built her to the nearest boat.  No plans

              stu

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
                Native Girl was built by Allen and Sharie Farrell on a beach in British
                Columbia. She's Allen's own design. The Farrell's were very interesting
                people who lived simply, yet enjoyed life much more than most:

                http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=957

                http://www.markwallaceshipwright.com/native.html

                http://www.angelfire.com/or/petermarsh/Chinacloud.htm

                You can find out something about the boats in the Festival here:

                http://www.woodenboat.org/festival/festival-public/boats/

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                To read fast is as bad as to eat in a hurry. (Vilhelm Ekelund)
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17, 2011
                  That launch was being used as a gofer for the races, and has been a
                  workhorse around the Festival for several years. The WBF can probably give
                  you more info on it:

                  http://www.woodenboat.org/

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/weibel-lines/6143899475/in/set-72157627662440214

                  --
                  John (jkohnen@...)
                  You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 17, 2011
                    A glance at the Festival program reminded me of the name of that launch --
                    Martha J. She was built by the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding,
                    which has also built several Atkin boats:

                    http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=514

                    http://www.nwboatschool.org/

                    --
                    John (jkohnen@...)
                    Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you