RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: A retirement goal

  • William E. Parker
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011

      Welcome, Robert, to the list.  I have a Florence Oakland built about 25 years ago.  I have replaced a solid mainmast as of two years ago, and am replacing the foremast this winter, both using hollow construction with bird’s mouth joints.  Taking the weight out of the rig definitely helps.  I have been actively considering using a topsail on the main in very light air, as the rigging and tophamper forward definitely cause lee helm in light air.  For that reason, my thought is that a topsail on the foremast would be counter-productive in that situation.  I would not consider using a topsail in anything other than light air.  My boat, Charlene, has not had the inside ballast of 300 Lbs. to this point, but I am putting it in.  With that and the hollow masts I am hoping she will stiffen-up some.  I would not recommend hanging any more outside ballast on the existing scantlings.  The original builder did that on my boat when repairing the keel, and it caused no end of problems structurally.  You can really only get so much balance from 3’ draft.  She already has 300 sq. ft. of sail on a 20 ft. waterline.

      I also considered extending the cabin, but decided to put in two lockers up by the cabin bulkhead, but still in the cockpit, that house a large cooler on one side and food storage and a single burner stove on the other.  I connected the seats to the lockers.  The stove was only ever meant to be used in port, with a cockpit tent.  I agree that the cockpit is large and poses a bit of a threat if a large sea were taken aboard.  If I were constructing her new, I would make the seats completely as storage and make the well only the size of the cockpit between the seats.  I have increased the drains to 1”, which definitely helps.

      She sounds like she was well-built with excellent materials.  I hope she gives you as much joy as has mine. Please do post some pictures.

      Best,

      Bill Parker