RE: [AtkinBoats] Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival next Weekend

  • Jerry Miller
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
      Can't be there this year...on the Illinois river.Shure had a good time last year though.By the way...I am still cancer free and my Florence Oakland is coming along.Will you have yours at the show.....Jerry

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
        Hi Jerry,
        Glad to hear both you and the boat are progressing. While Charlene is trailerable, she is not ready for prime time quite yet. Cannot imagine trailering to Port Townsend anyway, without taking months to do it. Perhaps if I ever retire. I am trying to get the boat ready for cruising in the North Channel (Canadian side of Lake Huron) next season. Other than varnishing the new foremast and and the bowsprit, all other varnish is done. Next spring will be all paint, which is much easier and quicker. I am replacing the main shrouds and installing an autopilot for the trip.

        This season has been terrible for sailing. Extreme heat and no wind for weeks at a time has meant very few sailable weekends. Like you, I have been traveling for work, which has taken out other weekends. I am hoping I'll be able to get out more this fall.

        If you end up in the Cincinnati area, the boat will be in the water through the middle of October, at least. Have to be out of the slip by 1 November. You are more than welcome to go for a sail, or, at least, view and poke around the boat.

        Best regards,
        Bill