Re: [AtkinBoats] Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival next Weekend

  • stu
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2011
      I'll be at the festival in my Atkins Gary Thomas Tops'l cutter (Ripple)

      hope to see any of you at the festival

      stu

      On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:52 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
      There are sure a bunch of interesting boats signed up this year! I'll be
      there in Lazy Jack (that's me at the wheel):

      http://www.woodenboat.org/festival/festival-public/boats/

      Some Coots and other boat nuts meet Saturday morning at the restaurant
      formerly known as Otter Crossing (I think it might be the Pt. Hudson Cafe
      now) at 10:00 Saturday morning for breakfast and BS.

      John Welsford will be talking about the "History of Recreational Boats" in
      the Festival grounds at 12:30 Friday, and about "The Designer's Role: much
      more than drawing" at 3:30 Friday.

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of

      ------------------------------------

      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         AtkinBoats-digest@yahoogroups.com
         AtkinBoats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • William E. Parker
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2011
        Please post photos as soon as you can.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2011
          I noticed there's going to be another one of the Boat School's Gary
          Thomas's at the Festival besides Ripple. La Boheme, an Eric will be there
          too, and I've been informed that a Teach in need of TLC will be for sale
          either at the festival or at the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port
          Hadlock. :o)

          On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:03:07 -0700, stu wrote:

          > I'll be at the festival in my Atkins Gary Thomas Tops'l cutter (Ripple)
          >
          > hope to see any of you at the festival

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          The louder he talks of honour, the faster we count our spoons.
          (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
        • stu
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2011
            Yes, Baraquah (spelling?) will be there... She was the second of the three Gary Thomases built at the NW School for Wooden Boats.

            There is a third... Jenny... I'd love to know anything about her if anyone knows

            stu

            On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
            I noticed there's going to be another one of the Boat School's Gary
            Thomas's at the Festival besides Ripple. La Boheme, an Eric will be there
            too, and I've been informed that a Teach in need of TLC will be for sale
            either at the festival or at the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port
            Hadlock. :o)

            On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:03:07 -0700, stu wrote:

            > I'll be at the festival in my Atkins Gary Thomas Tops'l cutter (Ripple)
            >
            > hope to see any of you at the festival

            --
            The louder he talks of honour, the faster we count our spoons.
            (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

            ------------------------------------

            <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               AtkinBoats-digest@yahoogroups.com
               AtkinBoats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jerry Miller
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
              Can't be there this year...on the Illinois river.Shure had a good time last year though.By the way...I am still cancer free and my Florence Oakland is coming along.Will you have yours at the show.....Jerry

            • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
                Hi Jerry,
                Glad to hear both you and the boat are progressing. While Charlene is trailerable, she is not ready for prime time quite yet. Cannot imagine trailering to Port Townsend anyway, without taking months to do it. Perhaps if I ever retire. I am trying to get the boat ready for cruising in the North Channel (Canadian side of Lake Huron) next season. Other than varnishing the new foremast and and the bowsprit, all other varnish is done. Next spring will be all paint, which is much easier and quicker. I am replacing the main shrouds and installing an autopilot for the trip.

                This season has been terrible for sailing. Extreme heat and no wind for weeks at a time has meant very few sailable weekends. Like you, I have been traveling for work, which has taken out other weekends. I am hoping I'll be able to get out more this fall.

                If you end up in the Cincinnati area, the boat will be in the water through the middle of October, at least. Have to be out of the slip by 1 November. You are more than welcome to go for a sail, or, at least, view and poke around the boat.

                Best regards,
                Bill