Akin Design: Sally Ann

  • alnsandyhunter
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2011
      I am considering building the Sally Ann as a tender for a larger boat. Have the plans been revised for plywood construction? I would like a shallow draft boat rated for about 500 pounds. What is the displacement and free board for Sally Ann?

      Thanks
      Al Hunter
      Bellingham, Washington
    • John Almberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2011
        Looks like an easy boat to build in marine plywood. You shouldn't need special plans, I wouldn't think.

        You'd have to buy the plans or study plans to get the details, but you can estimate her holding capacity with a  bit of figuring… the boat will weigh probably 75 lbs when built, plus your 500 lb load… call it 600 lbs total.

        600 lbs will displace 9.6 cubic feet of water.

        Sally Ann is about 7.5' long, by 3' wide? Something like that. Call it a 22 square ft footprint in the water.

        9.6' / 22' = .44'

        or about 5" of draft.

        Not sure her exact freeboard, but it's over 5"… 10" to 12", I'd guess.

        So, she should float. That's not saying she'd row very well, but she should manage.

        -- John