Re: 10' Lapstrake Sailing Dinghy "Vintage"

  • thirdbluestreaksamurai
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
      Thank you guys for the leads. I like the "Scamp" and the "Bahama Dinghy" and I plan on building a long distance cruiser out of selway's "Tideway"

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thirdbluestreaksamurai" <cmetzbower@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone built this design yet? I was also thinking about building it with a full keel instead of a centerboard.

    • John Almberg
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
        Heck, in a Tideway, every sail across the bay will feel like a long distance voyage!

        You should check out Margaret Dye's "Dinghy Cruising" (http://www.amazon.com/Dinghy-Cruising-Margaret-Dye/dp/0713679344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312577604&sr=8-1), and Frank Dye's "Open Boat Cruising", if you are serious about the 'long distance' part of your plan. I thought we were talking the occasional overnighter.

        A boat doesn't have to look (and sail) like a tank to be sea worthy. The above book will give you some ideas you might not have considered, yet. Always best to consult an expert before jumping into the deep end. The Dyes were the experts in what you are talking about.

        -- John

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
          Thanks, I will defiantly read it. My plans for the Tideway are several years away and still evolving but I am looking for a overnighter right now. I am in school right now and want something for the weekends I have free time and money to get away.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, John Almberg <jalmberg@...> wrote:

          > Heck, in a Tideway, every sail across the bay will feel like a long distance voyage!
          >
          > You should check out Margaret Dye's "Dinghy Cruising" (http://www.amazon.com/Dinghy-Cruising-Margaret-Dye/dp/0713679344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312577604&sr=8-1), and Frank Dye's "Open Boat Cruising", if you are serious about the 'long distance' part of your plan. I thought we were talking the occasional overnighter.
          >
          > A boat doesn't have to look (and sail) like a tank to be sea worthy. The above book will give you some ideas you might not have considered, yet. Always best to consult an expert before jumping into the deep end. The Dyes were the experts in what you are talking about.
          >
          > -- John
          >

          > On Aug 5, 2011, at 2:42 PM, thirdbluestreaksamurai wrote:
          >
          > > Thank you guys for the leads. I like the "Scamp" and the "Bahama Dinghy" and I plan on building a long distance cruiser out of selway's "Tideway"
          > >
          > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thirdbluestreaksamurai" <cmetzbower@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Has anyone built this design yet? I was also thinking about building it with a full keel instead of a centerboard.

        • praetorian1962
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
            Both of the books John mentioned would be a great read. They really helped me with choosing the right boat for myself.

            Tideway being the long term plans and only needing something for weekend get-a-ways for now, I wouldn't be changing very much of anything. Personally I would build Paul Fisher's 12' Coble. I am not sure and would check with Paul but you might be able to leave the centerboard completely out and redesign the rudder. The original cobles didn't have any centerboard. They used a over-sized rudder along with the designs deep forefront, for Lateral Resistance.

            As for Atkin designs, I would go with Nina.

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
              Bolger's Oldshoe:

              http://www.solopublications.com/saillanc.html

              http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/old_shoe/

              I still vote for SCAMP. It's a seaworthy expedition boat right out of the
              box.

              --
              John (jkohnen@...)
              As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first.