My New Atkin Boat

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2004
      On the way home from the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival I made the
      mistake of stopping at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Lower
      Hadlock. They were having a "garage sale" of donated boats and boats they'd
      built. I'm afraid I succumbed to the charms of this beauty, and now she's
      sitting in my front yard:

      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-1.jpg

      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-2.jpg

      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-3.jpg

      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-4.jpg

      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-5.jpg

      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Palmer-1.jpg

      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Palmer-2.jpg

      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Palmer-3.jpg

      Her name is Reinsdyr and she's a modified Valgerda -- with decking and a
      little Palmer PW 27 inboard. She was built at Portland in 1966 for the
      Weyerhauser family, and was pretty much according to the plans then. The
      next owner had a naval architect draw up plans for the engine installation,
      decking and interior furnishings, and had a boatbuilder in Lake Oswego,
      Oregon do the work. The third owner added the ugly keel extension and a tall
      sloop rig. :ob He donated Reinsdyr to the NWSWB last year. The sloop rig got
      lost sometime in the last year (too bad! <g>). I'm going to lop off the keel
      extension and give her a lugsail somewhat larger than the original plans
      called for, to help push the extra weight in light breezes. She's a real
      beauty! I think she'll make a great motorsailer for exploring the San Juans
      and elsewhere. :o) It looks like she need mostly just cosmetic repairs and
      paint. The engine looks good, hardly worn at all, but is stuck at present,
      and I'll probably do an overhaul (there's not much to a single-cylinder
      engine, and the PW is a Wisconsin inside so parts are easily obtainable).

      I hope to have Reisndyr ready for the water again in time for the Depoe Bay
      Wooden Boat Festival in April!

      What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
      smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>
    • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2004
        Great acquisition, John, she's a beauty. I am continually amazed by stories about people wanting to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse boatwise, and the marconi rig idea certainly is that.

        Best,
        Bill

      • craig o'donnell
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2004
          >I hope to have Reisndyr ready for the water again in time for the Depoe Bay
          >Wooden Boat Festival in April!

          By gum!

          John, it's a One-Lunger Canoe Yawl!

          Did the Ford Econoline come with the deal?

          And beware or you'll become the Robb White of the Pac NW.
          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

          -- Macintosh kinda guy
          Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
          _________________________________
        • roninpnw
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2004
            That's a real beauty, John! Looks like a fun little boat and a good
            vintage too (same launch as Ronin!) I'm jealous of your space to take
            in such wonderful projects. Sorry not to have seen you up in Port
            Townsend (we were there all weekend, mostly in workshops though), and
            we didn't even think to go by the NWSWB, but then I would only have
            seen so many things I wanted!

            Happy tinkinering with your new project,

            -Scott