Re: 10' Lapstrake Sailing Dinghy "Vintage"

  • praetorian1962
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
      10-12 feet, no leeboard or centerboard, full depth keel.
      The Bahama Dinghy 13-20 feet long. Measured line drawings (No offsets, or construction details) are available from the Smithsonian Institution. Originally published in American Small Sailing Craft by HI Chapelle. page 226-231. Fig 89. As drawn there it is 14 foot. "The cost to duplicate the plans for the Bahama Dinghy (1898) ASSC 89. is listed on pg. Page 27 of the "Ship Plans List" as a single sheet @ $10.00. There is an additional $5.00 charge for shipping and handling."
      Ship Plans
      Smithsonian Institution
      PO Box 37012
      NMAH 5004 / MRC 628
      Washington, DC 20013-7012 USA

      Another 14 footer is the Heron 14 by Selway Fisher.
      Found here; http://www.selway-fisher.com/PCup16.htm#HERON

      These are the only two plans I have found in the 10-14 foot range with no leeboard or centerboard, and "full keel." If there are other plans I don't know about them and I have been researching this for 4 years now. I have both of these plans. The Bahama Dinghy will be the hardest to build due to lack of any details on the drawings. The Heron 14 would be very easy and fast building.
      Good Luck with your search and if you find something with a "full keel" send me the information please.
      Jim

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thirdbluestreaksamurai" <cmetzbower@...> wrote:

      > My plan is to build a micro cruiser out of it. Something small, sturdy, stable and almost tank-like that I can stay a night or two on or sail and camp for a weekend. I want more space inside so a forward stepped mast made sense plus I want a shallow draft without a centerboard box to take up space. I would prefer 10-12 feet and no lee-board. I know it sounds crazy and impracticable but that's part of the fun of it.
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thirdbluestreaksamurai" <cmetzbower@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone built this design yet? I was also thinking about building it with a full keel instead of a centerboard.

    • thirdbluestreaksamurai
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
        Thank you guys for the leads. I like the "Scamp" and the "Bahama Dinghy" and I plan on building a long distance cruiser out of selway's "Tideway"

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thirdbluestreaksamurai" <cmetzbower@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone built this design yet? I was also thinking about building it with a full keel instead of a centerboard.

      • John Almberg
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
          Heck, in a Tideway, every sail across the bay will feel like a long distance voyage!

          You should check out Margaret Dye's "Dinghy Cruising" (http://www.amazon.com/Dinghy-Cruising-Margaret-Dye/dp/0713679344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312577604&sr=8-1), and Frank Dye's "Open Boat Cruising", if you are serious about the 'long distance' part of your plan. I thought we were talking the occasional overnighter.

          A boat doesn't have to look (and sail) like a tank to be sea worthy. The above book will give you some ideas you might not have considered, yet. Always best to consult an expert before jumping into the deep end. The Dyes were the experts in what you are talking about.

          -- John

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
            Thanks, I will defiantly read it. My plans for the Tideway are several years away and still evolving but I am looking for a overnighter right now. I am in school right now and want something for the weekends I have free time and money to get away.

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
              Both of the books John mentioned would be a great read. They really helped me with choosing the right boat for myself.

              Tideway being the long term plans and only needing something for weekend get-a-ways for now, I wouldn't be changing very much of anything. Personally I would build Paul Fisher's 12' Coble. I am not sure and would check with Paul but you might be able to leave the centerboard completely out and redesign the rudder. The original cobles didn't have any centerboard. They used a over-sized rudder along with the designs deep forefront, for Lateral Resistance.

              As for Atkin designs, I would go with Nina.

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
                Bolger's Oldshoe:

                http://www.solopublications.com/saillanc.html

                http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/old_shoe/

                I still vote for SCAMP. It's a seaworthy expedition boat right out of the
                box.

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first.