Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: More BlackPearl_repairs

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2011
      If you use a filler like glass fibers with your epoxy, and then use a
      machine screw, it'll be stronger than a wood screw driven into wood. I
      wouldn't be surprised if it's stronger even if you use wood flour for the
      filler.

      Speaking of machine screws... Somebody did some experiments with machine
      screws driven into wood -- no epoxy -- and found that they held better
      than wood screws or sheet metal screws! I've been using machine screws in
      the renovation of my little power cruiser (not an Atkin design, Karl
      Stambaugh's Redwing 18) when putting screws into plywood, thinking that a
      machine screw has full grip right to the tip, while a wood screw doesn't
      grip much with it's pointy tip, and I can't use a very long screw into
      plywood. I've found them easy to use, and they feel like they're gripping
      real good. Now I'm reluctant to use wood screws or sheet metal screws
      except in places I'm not worried about strength. <g>

      In plywood and Doug fir I don't need to tap the holes, the screw itself
      does that just fine. The pilot drill sizes I've been using are 1/8"
      (.125") for #8-32 and 5/32" (.156") for #10-24.

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a