RE: [AtkinBoats] Introduction - Ninigret

  • Stephen Paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
      Thank you.  I'm planning on building Ninigret as well, although I'm probably six months behind you, so will wait with baited breath for your pictures.

      Steve

      Steve Paul

      206-683-2961

      Notes From the Job Search

      www.linkedin.com/in/StephenMPaul

      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      From: hopkinsp2@...
      Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:18:33 +0000
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Introduction - Ninigret

      Hello all,

      I joined a little bit back, so I thought I would introduce myself a bit. I'm a long time sailor. I've had several nice sailing skiffs, including a Melonseed. I have a nice 22 footer I keep on the lake now. But I've never built a boat. I've built most of the furniture in my house, and a lot of the house, actually. But not a boat.

      The 20-30 kt winds, day after day after day this last year has really cut into the family sailing as well. I don't mind a little blow. Just reef and heel. :-) But the family doesn't like it.

      So, I thought, rather than build one of the sailboats I've been thinking about, since I already have a nice sailboat, why not build a motor boat?! I looked around for about half a year. I was awful darned tempted to build Graham's lovely new Marissa, but I just kept coming back to Atkin's Ninigret. What a beauty. I want to build it with the canvas top and open cuddy, as several I've seen pics of here. It seems to be just what I need and want for lovely family trips out on the lake.

      So, plans came today!! All nicely rolled up in the tube. Very nice.

      Time to start gathering some lumber!!

      I'm not a big picture person, but I'll try to take some pics as I build and post them. I'm sure I'll be pestering the group with questions soon.

      Phil