Introduction - Ninigret

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2011
      Hello all,

      I joined a little bit back, so I thought I would introduce myself a bit. I'm a long time sailor. I've had several nice sailing skiffs, including a Melonseed. I have a nice 22 footer I keep on the lake now. But I've never built a boat. I've built most of the furniture in my house, and a lot of the house, actually. But not a boat.

      The 20-30 kt winds, day after day after day this last year has really cut into the family sailing as well. I don't mind a little blow. Just reef and heel. :-) But the family doesn't like it.

      So, I thought, rather than build one of the sailboats I've been thinking about, since I already have a nice sailboat, why not build a motor boat?! I looked around for about half a year. I was awful darned tempted to build Graham's lovely new Marissa, but I just kept coming back to Atkin's Ninigret. What a beauty. I want to build it with the canvas top and open cuddy, as several I've seen pics of here. It seems to be just what I need and want for lovely family trips out on the lake.

      So, plans came today!! All nicely rolled up in the tube. Very nice.

      Time to start gathering some lumber!!

      I'm not a big picture person, but I'll try to take some pics as I build and post them. I'm sure I'll be pestering the group with questions soon.

      Phil
    • martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2011
        Hi Phil, i am looking forward to following your build. I am in a very similar position to yours. I have a John Welsford Navigator that i built about 6 years ago, and a family that are not really into the sailing. This year we also had our holiday plagued with high winds, which is not unusual here in New Zealand. I was very impressed with the looks and usability of Ningret when i saw it featured in the Woodenboat supplement, and it looks ideal for my use. I find the fact that i would have to spend all the money i am likely to get for my present boat, on the motor alone, but i guess that is what happens when you stop relying on wind power!
        Martin

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <hopkinsp2@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I joined a little bit back, so I thought I would introduce myself a bit. I'm a long time sailor. I've had several nice sailing skiffs, including a Melonseed. I have a nice 22 footer I keep on the lake now. But I've never built a boat. I've built most of the furniture in my house, and a lot of the house, actually. But not a boat.
        >
        > The 20-30 kt winds, day after day after day this last year has really cut into the family sailing as well. I don't mind a little blow. Just reef and heel. :-) But the family doesn't like it.
        >
        > So, I thought, rather than build one of the sailboats I've been thinking about, since I already have a nice sailboat, why not build a motor boat?! I looked around for about half a year. I was awful darned tempted to build Graham's lovely new Marissa, but I just kept coming back to Atkin's Ninigret. What a beauty. I want to build it with the canvas top and open cuddy, as several I've seen pics of here. It seems to be just what I need and want for lovely family trips out on the lake.
        >
        > So, plans came today!! All nicely rolled up in the tube. Very nice.
        >
        > Time to start gathering some lumber!!
        >
        > I'm not a big picture person, but I'll try to take some pics as I build and post them. I'm sure I'll be pestering the group with questions soon.
        >
        > Phil

      • Phil
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2011
          The Navigator is a very nice boat. I looked hard at it. I was on the edge of ordering plans for John Brooks' new interpretation of the 12 1/2, which he calls the Somes Sound. Lapstrake plywood, like the Navigator. Beautiful boat. But not all that trailerable, and a lot smaller than the one I have now.

          The wind where I live (Central Texas) has been crazy this year. I fly as well, and have been pretty much grounded. It's been 20-30 kts for the past week. Looking forward to being on the water and not having to worry about it. Better get busy, though. This boat won't build itself!

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "martin" <mart.nik@...> wrote:

          > Hi Phil, i am looking forward to following your build. I am in a very similar position to yours. I have a John Welsford Navigator that i built about 6 years ago, and a family that are not really into the sailing. This year we also had our holiday plagued with high winds, which is not unusual here in New Zealand. I was very impressed with the looks and usability of Ningret when i saw it featured in the Woodenboat supplement, and it looks ideal for my use. I find the fact that i would have to spend all the money i am likely to get for my present boat, on the motor alone, but i guess that is what happens when you stop relying on wind power!
          > Martin
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <hopkinsp2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > I joined a little bit back, so I thought I would introduce myself a bit. I'm a long time sailor. I've had several nice sailing skiffs, including a Melonseed. I have a nice 22 footer I keep on the lake now. But I've never built a boat. I've built most of the furniture in my house, and a lot of the house, actually. But not a boat.
          > >
          > > The 20-30 kt winds, day after day after day this last year has really cut into the family sailing as well. I don't mind a little blow. Just reef and heel. :-) But the family doesn't like it.
          > >
          > > So, I thought, rather than build one of the sailboats I've been thinking about, since I already have a nice sailboat, why not build a motor boat?! I looked around for about half a year. I was awful darned tempted to build Graham's lovely new Marissa, but I just kept coming back to Atkin's Ninigret. What a beauty. I want to build it with the canvas top and open cuddy, as several I've seen pics of here. It seems to be just what I need and want for lovely family trips out on the lake.
          > >
          > > So, plans came today!! All nicely rolled up in the tube. Very nice.
          > >
          > > Time to start gathering some lumber!!
          > >
          > > I'm not a big picture person, but I'll try to take some pics as I build and post them. I'm sure I'll be pestering the group with questions soon.
          > >
          > > Phil

        • Stephen Paul
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 21, 2011
            Thank you.  I'm planning on building Ninigret as well, although I'm probably six months behind you, so will wait with baited breath for your pictures.

            Steve

            Steve Paul

            206-683-2961

            Notes From the Job Search