Scamp as an outboard

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2004
      After looking for a 20' fishing skiff with a nod toward the charactor
      of a classic runabout, I have come across Scamp as an nearly ideal
      solution, except that it's an inboard. For the sake of simplicity, I
      find myself wondering about the possibility of using modern outboard
      power. Does any one have any strong opinions about this or any
      experience in converting an old inboard design to an outboard. I'm
      sure it must be more problematic than it appears on the surface, for a
      boat this small that is. Alot of modern plans for 25+ footers give you
      a choice, within certain weight limits, but I wouldn't want to really
      screw up the handling, trim, displacment, etc.
      Any input appreciated.
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2004
        Can certainly see the attraction with that classic runabout character.
        I'm not qualified to answer, but just mentally comparing the lines
        with Bolger?s 21 foot fisherman?s launch (outboard powered) I can see
        a lot of similarities. How fast do you want to go? I would think if
        you could live with modest speeds, a 2 stroke in the 40-50 HP range or
        a 45HP Honda would not be too much weight on the transom. I would
        build it with the deadwood as shown in the plans and a Bolger type
        "dry well" that he uses in a lot of outboards in this size range.

        Lewis