James Samuel materials.

  • bluesky_whitecaps
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2011
      Does anyone have an idea of the plywood on the bill of materials for the James Samuel or James Samuel, Jr. ?

      The description in James Samuel, Jr. mentions 3/4" Brunyzeel. This seems much thicker than similar designs around the same size. Was this for the whole boat? Bottom? Or is this just a typo on the website.

      I am guessing that the boats take around 15 sheets and with 3/4" the bare hull would be around 1300 lbs, which seems a bit heavy.
    • JohnA
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2011
        15 sheets *still* sounds like a lot. Let's see...

        You'd have to scarf 2 1/2 sheets together to get planks long enough, but with some careful cutting, you *might* get all the planks out of a 20'x4' sheet. If not, the total for side planking, both sides, will certainly be less than 5 sheets. 1/2" would be heavy enough, I think.

        Then for the bottom, you'd need 4 sheets, and 3/4" would give you a good, heavy bottom.

        So, using numbers for okoume marine ply (http://www.boulterplywood.com/MarinePlywood_4.htm)...

        < 5 sheets 1/2" @ 50 lbs each = 250 lbs
        + 4 sheets 3/4" @ 75 lbs each = 300 lbs

        Total for plywood, less than 550 lbs. Probably more like 500.

        Add another few hundred for the rest of the boat.

        800 or 1500 lbs, you aren't going to be car-topping this baby :-)

        -- John
      • JohnA
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2011
          Actually, the more I think about it, I think I'd build it with glued-lapstrake planking, using 7mm or maybe 9mm plywood.

          It would be stronger, lighter, and much better looking.

          You could also eliminate half the frames, which would simplify the build and lower the weight a bit.

          Just my two cents...

          -- John