Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Displacement tunnel-stern seabright skiff

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5, 2004
      I looked at the MoToR BoatinG article about Wader last night. Nice boat! The
      design and Billy's prose made me want one for myself! <g> I think Wader
      would be just the ticket for Ron. Look at the lines, the forefoot is sharp
      and extends well below the waterline -- it'd take a lot of chop to make it
      pound; the bottom curves up gently to the waterline aft, making the boat
      easy to drive with low power (and making it a waste of money to put a big
      engine in it). The construction uses full frames and batten seams. The boat
      could be built with planks and still live on a trailer, but she could also
      easily be converted to plywood without changing the framing at all. The
      curved tumblehome at the stern would be a challenge, but it would be a shame
      to do away with it. Using batten seam plywood planks in that area, two
      layers of thin plywood planks, odd shaped chunks of plywood, or "cold
      molding" the sides aft out of two or three layers of thin diagonal plywood
      planks are a few ways the challenge could be met. As John Atkin says, "...
      in some cases the lines of a flat bottom or V-bottom hull are relatively
      simple so that the builder might adapt the construction to use plywood in
      sheet form. Occasionally, this will require some ingenuity."

      With a little care in the construction and finish Wader would be a nice
      looking boat, she'd turn heads wherever she went and most people would never
      realize that underneath she's just a flat-bottom skiff. <g> Don't you dare
      think about raising the cabin Ron! Five feet of headroom is plenty for
      standing and pulling your pants up in the morning and the rest of the time
      you'll be sitting or lying when below.

      On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:23:29 -0000, Ron wrote:
      > Thank you very much for your good suggestions, John and Lewis. This
      > is a helpful board. You have given me much to think about. Wader is
      > appealing with the shallow draft and good protection for the helm.
      > I'll be doing comparisons and will need to order plans in a while.

      After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
      well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
    • sdholt
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
        Greeting to all from Okinawa, Japan. A true island paradise.

        Can't believe after all the time (years) and money I've spent
        looking for just the right boat and I stumble on to
        Atkinboatplans.com. I've always equated the Atkins with double-
        enders. What a surprise.. I've been looking for a traditional style
        boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
        say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
        selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
        course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
        that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
        dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
        think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
        the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
        Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
        gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
        marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
        thoughts or comments...

        Arrrg....
      • sdholt
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
          By the way the name is Scott.
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
            Welcome aboard Scott! Schooners have been switched back and forth between
            Marconi and gaff mainsails before. You've got to be careful not to move the
            center of effort of the sail plan very much, or you'll spoil the sailing
            balance of the boat. Jim Michalak (rhymes with "metallic") has a good
            introduction to figuring out sail areas and centers of effort here:

            http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

            Of course it's more complicated with all the sails a schooner carries! <g>
            Just use the working sails for the math, not the light weather stuff.

            On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:16 -0000, Scott wrote:
            > I've been looking for a traditional style
            > boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
            > say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
            > selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
            > course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
            > that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
            > dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
            > think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
            > the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
            > Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
            > gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
            > marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
            > thoughts or comments...

            One boat just leads to another.
            <John Kohnen>
          • Scott Holt
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
              John,
              Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
              informative. I would never take it upon my self to
              change any design for fear of botching the job. A
              designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
              backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
              designs are proven. That being the case I would not
              change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

              By the way I did not realize you are the same John
              from "The Mother of All Maritime Links." Great site
              and lots of fun and information. I use it often..

              Thanks.
              Scott

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Bruce Elfstrom
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                Hello Scott. I know it's not an Atkin's, but I have a free Murray
                Peterson 44 Schooner here. Its in need of restoration, but she has
                very nice traditional coaster lines.

                Let me know---I will have some pix, etc on www.classicworkboat.com
                ASAP---some info already there.

                Cheers, Bruce
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                  Even if you're just changing the mainsail of a schooner check the center of
                  effort. Of course if you change the mainsail to a gaff sail you're on your
                  own and Mrs. Atkin won't have anything to do with you any more! ;o) Getting
                  professional help shouldn't cost much, especially when you compare it to the
                  cost of building the schooner. Jay Benford used to work for the Atkins, and
                  is familiar with traditonal rigs. He'd be a good designer to ask for help:

                  http://www.benford.us/

                  If you had a professional draw a gaff mainsail for you Mrs. Atkin might even
                  forgive you! ;o)

                  On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:

                  > John,
                  > Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
                  > informative. I would never take it upon my self to
                  > change any design for fear of botching the job. A
                  > designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
                  > backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
                  > designs are proven. That being the case I would not
                  > change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

                  There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
                  the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
                  <H. L. Mencken>
                • Scott Holt
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                    Thanks for the info Bruce. 43' is far to much boat
                    for me. That's why I was so excited about finding
                    Atkin's 30'/ 36' schooners.

                    By the way I'm also in Okinawa, Japan. Another
                    typhoon is heading our way..

                    http://vote.yahoo.com
                  • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                      Welcome to the list, Scott. As long as the topic is current, let me add that I have put together a personal site for Atkin schooner enthusiasts called "A Celebration of Atkin Schooners". It is meant to be a place where those who are interested can get information and see other people's Atkin schooners. Frankly, it's just a shameless ploy on my part to find other Atkin schooner owners to talk to.

                      Here is the URL:
                      http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker

                      I welcome all feedback that makes sense. The best way to leave that is via the guest book.

                      Best,
                      Bill

                    • Scott Holt
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                        Thanks for the link. I like it and can't wait for
                        other Atkins schooner owners to send in their
                        pictures. I added your site to my favorite site list
                        and will check often for updates. Thanks..

                        How can you not love the sight of a schooner..

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004

                              http://messenger.yahoo.com