Re: Help with offsets

  • Billy
    Message 1 of 25 , May 1 4:05 AM
      Slim, I actually have a copy of that book but it is a 1st edition and it looks as though it'll disentegrate every time I touch it so, I never do. Perhaps I should buy one to use. I know, I know.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, davy riggs <titanicslim@...> wrote:

      > ... and don't forget Howard Chapelle's Boatbuilding.  It's section on lofting has taught generations of boatbuilders, myself included, and is still, I think, the text most used by schools and apprenticeships.  This fact ensures that a good supply of barely used copies of this text are always available from ebay, Amazon and other online booksellers.  I refer to mine often.
      > Dave
      >
      > Man proposes- God disposes. -U.S. Grant

    • Billy
      Message 2 of 25 , May 1 4:36 AM
        First off, I really like how he drew the sheerline, and, I love the great flare up front in the topsides combined with the narrow bottom forward and I'll bet that it'll be a husky looking skiff when finished. I like the sternsheets too, looks classy. Good size and decent speed potential. I don't like the sheerline on Punch plus it doesn't have that nice, flare up front. Sprite was a close second but I was afraid it wouldn't fit the bill ( and his family ;) ). I love to take my dog with me on the water too, so wanted a little extra room. Other, intangable things too. You know how a boat just reaches out and grabs you. Thats the reason for so many different designs I guess. I just think it's a real nice looking skiff overall. I can't really find anything about it that I don't like. Oh you know if I had the room and money it would have been Haven all the way. Might take me the remainder of my life but man, thats a great design, love that boat.
        Thanks for the encouragement and offer of help, I'm sure I'll need it at some point.

        > Good man! :o) I think you'll find that lofting the boat will teach you
        > something about how will go together, and the full size drawing will
        > easily supply you with the shapes and bevels of various parts of the boat.
        > If you have any questions feel free to ask me, either here or privately.
        >
        > Just out of curiosity, what attracted you to Elon Jessup more than the
        > other Atkin outboard skiffs?
        >
        > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:55:35 -0700, Billy wrote:
        >
        > > Thanks John K. I will build this boat. The more I look at it the more I
        > > likes it. You're right, I just need to slow down a bit. I have built
        > > several boats before but there was no lofting involved.
        >
        > --
        > John (jkohnen@...)
        > Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
        > two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman (Roy
        > Blount Jr.)

      • Billy
        Message 3 of 25 , May 1 4:54 AM
          OK, there is one thing that does sort of jump out at me when I look at EJ, the frames. I don't like (but don't hate either) the way the frames are perpendicular to the sides rather than perpendicular to the centerline of the hull. Can this be changed? Could I bevel the frames to orient them perpendicular to the centerline? I know, I haven't even gotten past the lofting yet and am wanting to change something but just had to ask. My previous post made me think of that. Are there any structural issues to consider with this proposed change? I'm not even saying I will do it, only wondering if I could should I choose to.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Billy" <billybronaugh@...> wrote:

          > First off, I really like how he drew the sheerline, and, I love the great flare up front in the topsides combined with the narrow bottom forward and I'll bet that it'll be a husky looking skiff when finished. I like the sternsheets too, looks classy. Good size and decent speed potential. I don't like the sheerline on Punch plus it doesn't have that nice, flare up front. Sprite was a close second but I was afraid it wouldn't fit the bill ( and his family ;) ). I love to take my dog with me on the water too, so wanted a little extra room. Other, intangable things too. You know how a boat just reaches out and grabs you. Thats the reason for so many different designs I guess. I just think it's a real nice looking skiff overall. I can't really find anything about it that I don't like. Oh you know if I had the room and money it would have been Haven all the way. Might take me the remainder of my life but man, thats a great design, love that boat.
          > Thanks for the encouragement and offer of help, I'm sure I'll need it at some point.
          >

          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Good man! :o) I think you'll find that lofting the boat will teach you
          > > something about how will go together, and the full size drawing will
          > > easily supply you with the shapes and bevels of various parts of the boat.
          > > If you have any questions feel free to ask me, either here or privately.
          > >
          > > Just out of curiosity, what attracted you to Elon Jessup more than the
          > > other Atkin outboard skiffs?
          > >
          > > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:55:35 -0700, Billy wrote:
          > >
          > > > Thanks John K. I will build this boat. The more I look at it the more I
          > > > likes it. You're right, I just need to slow down a bit. I have built
          > > > several boats before but there was no lofting involved.
          > >
          > > --
          > > John (jkohnen@)
          > > Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
          > > two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman (Roy
          > > Blount Jr.)

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 25 , May 24 6:23 AM
            What I found strange was that this boat was not in an Ideal series book.

            I have several and was going to see if I had the plans in a book but it isn't listed online here:

            http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/Names.html

            .....................calfee
          • Oscar Lind
            Message 5 of 25 , May 24 7:35 AM
              I just joined the group and I don't know what design you are referring to. Which is it? I might be able to shed a tiny ray of light, who knows.
              Oscar

              Message 6 of 25 , May 24 3:53 PM
                It's Elon Jessup:

                http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/ElonJessup.html

                Elon Jessup was designed after the Atkins had stopped working for MoToR
                BoatinG. Can you give me the date and plan number, Billy? Elon Jessup was
                published in Practical Small Boat Designs in 1983.

                The two Atkins reportedly designed over 900 boats in their lifetimes (the
                numbers stop at 876 -- Sunshine, but there may have been some designs that
                didn't get a number for one reason or another, 876 is a lot of boats
                anyway! <g>). A lot of the designs were for MoToR BoatinG, but a lot
                weren't. The current Atkin Catalog lists somewhere around 300 designs,
                IIRC.

                On Tue, 24 May 2011 07:35:49 -0700, Oscar wrote:

                > I just joined the group and I don't know what design you are referring
                > to. Which is it? I might be able to shed a tiny ray of light, who knows.

                One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
                by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)
              • Oscar Lind
                Message 7 of 25 , May 24 4:56 PM
                  that design is one that John Atkin did and is in Practical Small Boat Designs avail from Pat Atkin or from an amazing fellow in Seattle doing business at www.SeaOceanBooks.com 206-675-9020.
                  Nice, nice design, by the way. Don't you have good taste.
                  Oscar

                  Elon Jessup was designed after the Atkins had stopped working for MoToR
                  BoatinG. Can you give me the date and plan number, Billy? Elon Jessup was
                  published in Practical Small Boat Designs in 1983.

                  The two Atkins reportedly designed over 900 boats in their lifetimes (the
                  numbers stop at 876 -- Sunshine, but there may have been some designs that
                  didn't get a number for one reason or another, 876 is a lot of boats
                  anyway! <g>). A lot of the designs were for MoToR BoatinG, but a lot
                  weren't. The current Atkin Catalog lists somewhere around 300 designs,
                  IIRC.

                  On Tue, 24 May 2011 07:35:49 -0700, Oscar wrote:

                  > I just joined the group and I don't know what design you are referring
                  > to. Which is it? I might be able to shed a tiny ray of light, who knows.

                  ------------------------------------

                  <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      AtkinBoats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      AtkinBoats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • George C
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 25 3:15 PM
                    John,

                    Of course, I had to use your link to look at ElonJessup. And as always, had to look at many other Aktin design and then looked at the photo section. Any link to Atkinco give me an easy excuse to browse around. Anyway, in the photo section a particular boat caught my attention called the Snapdragon. It's a beautiful work boat with a tumblehome stern. Unfortunately, plans aren't available and there's little detail.

                    Would you know much about it; specs, propose, plan in the future, any other publication is might be in?

                    Thanks in advance,

                    George

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 25 4:15 PM
                      Snapdragon seems to be one of the plans that got lost when Hearst
                      Publishing stuffed the Atkin plans they held into black plastic garbage
                      bags and dumped them in their lobby for John A to pick up, after he
                      succeeded in his long fight to get the ownership of the plans back. :o( So
                      there's little chance that plans for her will ever be available.
                      Snapdragon was published in MoToR BoatinG and appears in volumes 17 and 46
                      of the Ideal Series. She's 32' 4" long by 9' 4" beam, draws 2' 7". 70 hp.
                      should be good for 18 mph. A nice boat.

                      --
                      John (jkohnen@...)
                      There is a custom, amounting almost to tradition, that true boat
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 25 4:30 PM
                        John,

                        I didn't know there was a battle between John A and Hearst.
                        You're a wealth of information, and yes, a very nice boat.

                        Thanks,

                        George

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 27 5:20 AM
                          I believe it is design number 865, May 1 1971. Fourty years later I start building one. Yes I do have good taste, you should see my wife. :) I hope she reads this. :)