Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Displacement tunnel-stern seabright skiff

  • DirtSailor
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2004
      Ron,

      While you were cruising around Ablemarle, and Pamlico, did you make it up to Coinjock for Dinner? I took a boat from Rockport Mass. down to Fort Lauderdale. Would really like to go back and spend some more time in the ditch.

      Case

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 5, 2004
        I looked at the MoToR BoatinG article about Wader last night. Nice boat! The
        design and Billy's prose made me want one for myself! <g> I think Wader
        would be just the ticket for Ron. Look at the lines, the forefoot is sharp
        and extends well below the waterline -- it'd take a lot of chop to make it
        pound; the bottom curves up gently to the waterline aft, making the boat
        easy to drive with low power (and making it a waste of money to put a big
        engine in it). The construction uses full frames and batten seams. The boat
        could be built with planks and still live on a trailer, but she could also
        easily be converted to plywood without changing the framing at all. The
        curved tumblehome at the stern would be a challenge, but it would be a shame
        to do away with it. Using batten seam plywood planks in that area, two
        layers of thin plywood planks, odd shaped chunks of plywood, or "cold
        molding" the sides aft out of two or three layers of thin diagonal plywood
        planks are a few ways the challenge could be met. As John Atkin says, "...
        in some cases the lines of a flat bottom or V-bottom hull are relatively
        simple so that the builder might adapt the construction to use plywood in
        sheet form. Occasionally, this will require some ingenuity."

        With a little care in the construction and finish Wader would be a nice
        looking boat, she'd turn heads wherever she went and most people would never
        realize that underneath she's just a flat-bottom skiff. <g> Don't you dare
        think about raising the cabin Ron! Five feet of headroom is plenty for
        standing and pulling your pants up in the morning and the rest of the time
        you'll be sitting or lying when below.

        On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:23:29 -0000, Ron wrote:
        > Thank you very much for your good suggestions, John and Lewis. This
        > is a helpful board. You have given me much to think about. Wader is
        > appealing with the shallow draft and good protection for the helm.
        > I'll be doing comparisons and will need to order plans in a while.

        After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
        well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
      • sdholt
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
          Greeting to all from Okinawa, Japan. A true island paradise.

          Can't believe after all the time (years) and money I've spent
          looking for just the right boat and I stumble on to
          Atkinboatplans.com. I've always equated the Atkins with double-
          enders. What a surprise.. I've been looking for a traditional style
          boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
          say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
          selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
          course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
          that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
          dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
          think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
          the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
          Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
          gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
          marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
          thoughts or comments...

          Arrrg....
        • sdholt
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
            By the way the name is Scott.
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
              Welcome aboard Scott! Schooners have been switched back and forth between
              Marconi and gaff mainsails before. You've got to be careful not to move the
              center of effort of the sail plan very much, or you'll spoil the sailing
              balance of the boat. Jim Michalak (rhymes with "metallic") has a good
              introduction to figuring out sail areas and centers of effort here:

              http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

              Of course it's more complicated with all the sails a schooner carries! <g>
              Just use the working sails for the math, not the light weather stuff.

              On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:16 -0000, Scott wrote:
              > I've been looking for a traditional style
              > boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
              > say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
              > selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
              > course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
              > that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
              > dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
              > think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
              > the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
              > Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
              > gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
              > marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
              > thoughts or comments...

              One boat just leads to another.
              <John Kohnen>
            • Scott Holt
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                John,
                Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
                informative. I would never take it upon my self to
                change any design for fear of botching the job. A
                designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
                backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
                designs are proven. That being the case I would not
                change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

                By the way I did not realize you are the same John
                from "The Mother of All Maritime Links." Great site
                and lots of fun and information. I use it often..

                Thanks.
                Scott

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • Bruce Elfstrom
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                  Hello Scott. I know it's not an Atkin's, but I have a free Murray
                  Peterson 44 Schooner here. Its in need of restoration, but she has
                  very nice traditional coaster lines.

                  Let me know---I will have some pix, etc on www.classicworkboat.com
                  ASAP---some info already there.

                  Cheers, Bruce
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                    Even if you're just changing the mainsail of a schooner check the center of
                    effort. Of course if you change the mainsail to a gaff sail you're on your
                    own and Mrs. Atkin won't have anything to do with you any more! ;o) Getting
                    professional help shouldn't cost much, especially when you compare it to the
                    cost of building the schooner. Jay Benford used to work for the Atkins, and
                    is familiar with traditonal rigs. He'd be a good designer to ask for help:

                    http://www.benford.us/

                    If you had a professional draw a gaff mainsail for you Mrs. Atkin might even
                    forgive you! ;o)

                    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:

                    > John,
                    > Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
                    > informative. I would never take it upon my self to
                    > change any design for fear of botching the job. A
                    > designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
                    > backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
                    > designs are proven. That being the case I would not
                    > change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

                    There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
                    the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
                    <H. L. Mencken>
                  • Scott Holt
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                      Thanks for the info Bruce. 43' is far to much boat
                      for me. That's why I was so excited about finding
                      Atkin's 30'/ 36' schooners.

                      By the way I'm also in Okinawa, Japan. Another
                      typhoon is heading our way..

                      http://vote.yahoo.com
                    • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                        Welcome to the list, Scott. As long as the topic is current, let me add that I have put together a personal site for Atkin schooner enthusiasts called "A Celebration of Atkin Schooners". It is meant to be a place where those who are interested can get information and see other people's Atkin schooners. Frankly, it's just a shameless ploy on my part to find other Atkin schooner owners to talk to.

                        Here is the URL:
                        http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker

                        I welcome all feedback that makes sense. The best way to leave that is via the guest book.

                        Best,
                        Bill

                      • Scott Holt
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                          Thanks for the link. I like it and can't wait for
                          other Atkins schooner owners to send in their
                          pictures. I added your site to my favorite site list
                          and will check often for updates. Thanks..

                          How can you not love the sight of a schooner..

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004

                                http://messenger.yahoo.com