Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Help with offsets

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 28, 2011
      I think John Atkin wrote at least once that one should _never_ scale
      critical dimensions off a plan, only take them from the full-size faired
      lofting. It's the Truth, whoever wrote it. On the Atkin plans the height
      of the bottom in the offset table is taken from the baseline, and the
      height of the sheer is taken from the waterline. Those heights are in the
      offset table, not on the profile drawing. The profile drawing will show
      the height of the waterline above the baseline and the spacing of the
      sections, and will have the dimensions you need to get the shape of the
      face of the stem right. If there are NO dimensions shown on the profile
      drawing maybe by mistake Mrs. Atkin sent you a copy of an early draft, not
      the finished drawing... But I'll bet there's everything you need in the
      plans, without having to use a scale rule. Just take it slow and easy and
      everything will begin to make sense as you move along. Start with lofting
      the profile, then the plan view, and finally the body plan, or sections.
      Don't forget to deduct the plank thickness when you make your molds.

      Alas, I can't find a good explanation of lofting on the Interweb. I
      suppose I should put an old article online myself one of these days...
      John A's story of lofting his Cabin Boy gives you an idea of what's
      involved in lofting an Atkin skiff:

      http://preview.tinyurl.com/3hgqtkr

      The best book I've seen on the subject is Allan Vaitses's, and if you feel
      totally lost maybe it'd be a good idea to sit back and wait for the book
      to be delivered:

      http://preview.tinyurl.com/6hsdce

      Lofting is unfamiliar to many amateur boatbuilders today, but it's really
      not that hard to learn, and not all that complicated for a simple skiff.
      You'll get there, Billy. Good luck!

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      I get up every morning determined both to change the world and
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 30, 2011
        Thanks John K. I will build this boat. The more I look at it the more I likes it. You're right, I just need to slow down a bit. I have built several boats before but there was no lofting involved.

        > I think John Atkin wrote at least once that one should _never_ scale
        > critical dimensions off a plan, only take them from the full-size faired
        > lofting. It's the Truth, whoever wrote it. On the Atkin plans the height
        > of the bottom in the offset table is taken from the baseline, and the
        > height of the sheer is taken from the waterline. Those heights are in the
        > offset table, not on the profile drawing. The profile drawing will show
        > the height of the waterline above the baseline and the spacing of the
        > sections, and will have the dimensions you need to get the shape of the
        > face of the stem right. If there are NO dimensions shown on the profile
        > drawing maybe by mistake Mrs. Atkin sent you a copy of an early draft, not
        > the finished drawing... But I'll bet there's everything you need in the
        > plans, without having to use a scale rule. Just take it slow and easy and
        > everything will begin to make sense as you move along. Start with lofting
        > the profile, then the plan view, and finally the body plan, or sections.
        > Don't forget to deduct the plank thickness when you make your molds.
        >
        > Alas, I can't find a good explanation of lofting on the Interweb. I
        > suppose I should put an old article online myself one of these days...
        > John A's story of lofting his Cabin Boy gives you an idea of what's
        > involved in lofting an Atkin skiff:
        >
        > http://preview.tinyurl.com/3hgqtkr
        >
        > The best book I've seen on the subject is Allan Vaitses's, and if you feel
        > totally lost maybe it'd be a good idea to sit back and wait for the book
        > to be delivered:
        >
        > http://preview.tinyurl.com/6hsdce
        >
        > Lofting is unfamiliar to many amateur boatbuilders today, but it's really
        > not that hard to learn, and not all that complicated for a simple skiff.
        > You'll get there, Billy. Good luck!
        >
        > On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 20:42:08 -0700, Billy wrote:
        >
        > > Oh, specifically, there are no offsets from the bottom of the boat to
        > > the sheerline to tell me the height of each station to make the molds,
        > > there is nothing telling me the distance from the baseline to the load
        > > waterline, there is no offset for the height of station 12, nothing
        > > telling me how high the bottom of the stem is above the baseline, no
        > > information at all about the heights of the transom from any of the few
        > > given reference points and no information about station 0 which
        > > intersects the stem at some point. Like I said there is a lot of
        > > guesswork and scale rule work and figuring to be done to make these
        > > workable plans. I guess my only viable option is to use the scale rule
        > > and loft it as closely as I can and then fair the lines....
        >

        > --
        > John (jkohnen@...)
        > I get up every morning determined both to change the world and
        > to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning
        > the day difficult. (E.B. White)

      • davy riggs
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 30, 2011

          ... and don't forget Howard Chapelle's Boatbuilding.  It's section on lofting has taught generations of boatbuilders, myself included, and is still, I think, the text most used by schools and apprenticeships.  This fact ensures that a good supply of barely used copies of this text are always available from ebay, Amazon and other online booksellers.  I refer to mine often.

          Dave

          Man proposes- God disposes. -U.S. Grant
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 30, 2011
            Good man! :o) I think you'll find that lofting the boat will teach you
            something about how will go together, and the full size drawing will
            easily supply you with the shapes and bevels of various parts of the boat.
            If you have any questions feel free to ask me, either here or privately.

            Just out of curiosity, what attracted you to Elon Jessup more than the
            other Atkin outboard skiffs?

            On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:55:35 -0700, Billy wrote:

            > Thanks John K. I will build this boat. The more I look at it the more I
            > likes it. You're right, I just need to slow down a bit. I have built
            > several boats before but there was no lofting involved.

            --
            John (jkohnen@...)
            Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
            two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman (Roy
            Blount Jr.)
          • Billy
            Message 5 of 25 , May 1 4:05 AM
              Slim, I actually have a copy of that book but it is a 1st edition and it looks as though it'll disentegrate every time I touch it so, I never do. Perhaps I should buy one to use. I know, I know.

              Message 6 of 25 , May 1 4:36 AM
                First off, I really like how he drew the sheerline, and, I love the great flare up front in the topsides combined with the narrow bottom forward and I'll bet that it'll be a husky looking skiff when finished. I like the sternsheets too, looks classy. Good size and decent speed potential. I don't like the sheerline on Punch plus it doesn't have that nice, flare up front. Sprite was a close second but I was afraid it wouldn't fit the bill ( and his family ;) ). I love to take my dog with me on the water too, so wanted a little extra room. Other, intangable things too. You know how a boat just reaches out and grabs you. Thats the reason for so many different designs I guess. I just think it's a real nice looking skiff overall. I can't really find anything about it that I don't like. Oh you know if I had the room and money it would have been Haven all the way. Might take me the remainder of my life but man, thats a great design, love that boat.
                Thanks for the encouragement and offer of help, I'm sure I'll need it at some point.

                > Good man! :o) I think you'll find that lofting the boat will teach you
                > something about how will go together, and the full size drawing will
                > easily supply you with the shapes and bevels of various parts of the boat.
                > If you have any questions feel free to ask me, either here or privately.
                >
                > Just out of curiosity, what attracted you to Elon Jessup more than the
                > other Atkin outboard skiffs?
                >
                > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:55:35 -0700, Billy wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks John K. I will build this boat. The more I look at it the more I
                > > likes it. You're right, I just need to slow down a bit. I have built
                > > several boats before but there was no lofting involved.
                >
                > --
                > John (jkohnen@...)
                > Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
                > two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman (Roy
                > Blount Jr.)

              • Billy
                Message 7 of 25 , May 1 4:54 AM
                  OK, there is one thing that does sort of jump out at me when I look at EJ, the frames. I don't like (but don't hate either) the way the frames are perpendicular to the sides rather than perpendicular to the centerline of the hull. Can this be changed? Could I bevel the frames to orient them perpendicular to the centerline? I know, I haven't even gotten past the lofting yet and am wanting to change something but just had to ask. My previous post made me think of that. Are there any structural issues to consider with this proposed change? I'm not even saying I will do it, only wondering if I could should I choose to.

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Billy" <billybronaugh@...> wrote:

                  > First off, I really like how he drew the sheerline, and, I love the great flare up front in the topsides combined with the narrow bottom forward and I'll bet that it'll be a husky looking skiff when finished. I like the sternsheets too, looks classy. Good size and decent speed potential. I don't like the sheerline on Punch plus it doesn't have that nice, flare up front. Sprite was a close second but I was afraid it wouldn't fit the bill ( and his family ;) ). I love to take my dog with me on the water too, so wanted a little extra room. Other, intangable things too. You know how a boat just reaches out and grabs you. Thats the reason for so many different designs I guess. I just think it's a real nice looking skiff overall. I can't really find anything about it that I don't like. Oh you know if I had the room and money it would have been Haven all the way. Might take me the remainder of my life but man, thats a great design, love that boat.
                  > Thanks for the encouragement and offer of help, I'm sure I'll need it at some point.
                  >

                  > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Good man! :o) I think you'll find that lofting the boat will teach you
                  > > something about how will go together, and the full size drawing will
                  > > easily supply you with the shapes and bevels of various parts of the boat.
                  > > If you have any questions feel free to ask me, either here or privately.
                  > >
                  > > Just out of curiosity, what attracted you to Elon Jessup more than the
                  > > other Atkin outboard skiffs?
                  > >
                  > > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:55:35 -0700, Billy wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Thanks John K. I will build this boat. The more I look at it the more I
                  > > > likes it. You're right, I just need to slow down a bit. I have built
                  > > > several boats before but there was no lofting involved.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > John (jkohnen@)
                  > > Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
                  > > two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman (Roy
                  > > Blount Jr.)

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 24 6:23 AM
                    What I found strange was that this boat was not in an Ideal series book.

                    I have several and was going to see if I had the plans in a book but it isn't listed online here:

                    http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/Names.html

                    .....................calfee
                  • Oscar Lind
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 24 7:35 AM
                      I just joined the group and I don't know what design you are referring to. Which is it? I might be able to shed a tiny ray of light, who knows.
                      Oscar

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 24 3:53 PM
                        It's Elon Jessup:

                        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/ElonJessup.html

                        Elon Jessup was designed after the Atkins had stopped working for MoToR
                        BoatinG. Can you give me the date and plan number, Billy? Elon Jessup was
                        published in Practical Small Boat Designs in 1983.

                        The two Atkins reportedly designed over 900 boats in their lifetimes (the
                        numbers stop at 876 -- Sunshine, but there may have been some designs that
                        didn't get a number for one reason or another, 876 is a lot of boats
                        anyway! <g>). A lot of the designs were for MoToR BoatinG, but a lot
                        weren't. The current Atkin Catalog lists somewhere around 300 designs,
                        IIRC.

                        On Tue, 24 May 2011 07:35:49 -0700, Oscar wrote:

                        > I just joined the group and I don't know what design you are referring
                        > to. Which is it? I might be able to shed a tiny ray of light, who knows.

                        One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
                        by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)
                      • Oscar Lind
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 24 4:56 PM
                          that design is one that John Atkin did and is in Practical Small Boat Designs avail from Pat Atkin or from an amazing fellow in Seattle doing business at www.SeaOceanBooks.com 206-675-9020.
                          Nice, nice design, by the way. Don't you have good taste.
                          Oscar

                          Elon Jessup was designed after the Atkins had stopped working for MoToR
                          BoatinG. Can you give me the date and plan number, Billy? Elon Jessup was
                          published in Practical Small Boat Designs in 1983.

                          The two Atkins reportedly designed over 900 boats in their lifetimes (the
                          numbers stop at 876 -- Sunshine, but there may have been some designs that
                          didn't get a number for one reason or another, 876 is a lot of boats
                          anyway! <g>). A lot of the designs were for MoToR BoatinG, but a lot
                          weren't. The current Atkin Catalog lists somewhere around 300 designs,
                          IIRC.

                          On Tue, 24 May 2011 07:35:49 -0700, Oscar wrote:

                          > I just joined the group and I don't know what design you are referring
                          > to. Which is it? I might be able to shed a tiny ray of light, who knows.

                          ------------------------------------

                          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              AtkinBoats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              AtkinBoats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • George C
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 25 3:15 PM
                            John,

                            Of course, I had to use your link to look at ElonJessup. And as always, had to look at many other Aktin design and then looked at the photo section. Any link to Atkinco give me an easy excuse to browse around. Anyway, in the photo section a particular boat caught my attention called the Snapdragon. It's a beautiful work boat with a tumblehome stern. Unfortunately, plans aren't available and there's little detail.

                            Would you know much about it; specs, propose, plan in the future, any other publication is might be in?

                            Thanks in advance,

                            George

                            Message 13 of 25 , May 25 4:15 PM
                              Snapdragon seems to be one of the plans that got lost when Hearst
                              Publishing stuffed the Atkin plans they held into black plastic garbage
                              bags and dumped them in their lobby for John A to pick up, after he
                              succeeded in his long fight to get the ownership of the plans back. :o( So
                              there's little chance that plans for her will ever be available.
                              Snapdragon was published in MoToR BoatinG and appears in volumes 17 and 46
                              of the Ideal Series. She's 32' 4" long by 9' 4" beam, draws 2' 7". 70 hp.
                              should be good for 18 mph. A nice boat.

                              --
                              John (jkohnen@...)
                              There is a custom, amounting almost to tradition, that true boat
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 25 4:30 PM
                                John,

                                I didn't know there was a battle between John A and Hearst.
                                You're a wealth of information, and yes, a very nice boat.

                                Thanks,

                                George

                                Message 15 of 25 , May 27 5:20 AM
                                  I believe it is design number 865, May 1 1971. Fourty years later I start building one. Yes I do have good taste, you should see my wife. :) I hope she reads this. :)