RE: [AtkinBoats] My methods

  • William E. Parker
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18, 2011

      OK, stick with me on this, it’s going to take a while…

      The rub rail on my boat is a cove molding with ¾” rope let into it.  Looks very salty.  In fact, I have done very nice drum band whippings on both ends on the port side.  Haven’t put the new rope into the starboard side yet.

      This year’s varnish rotation is cabin sides and coamings, toe rails.  The mahogany has been in the sun for about 25 years now and has become blonded out, so when I wood them down (this is the second time) I use a stain to get the color closer to the color I think of as mahogany.

      I was staining this evening, with the stain in a cup.  I have learned my lesson about holding the cup while I work. Too many mistakes made that way.  So, I had the cup between the toe rail and the coaming on the port side, sitting in the last section I did, and was staining away, things were looking good.  I have deadeyes and lanyard for my stays, so when the rig is down, the deadeyes can flop on the deck, or on the rail.  I flopped the deadeye out of the way so I could work, it caught the brush, which flipped out of my hand just enough to catch the rim of the cup and turn it over.  OK that’s bad, but we’re not done yet.  There are three scuppers to let water off the deck at that place. So now I have stain travelling down the rail, through the scuppers, and out over and through the new sheer rope on the port side, down over the side onto the fender of the trailer, onto the wood floor of the barn where I keep my boat.  Where I rent.  In an historically significant building.

      Now I’m not one of those guys who cares about how good my trailer looks, it has the occasional dollop of bottom paint on it, but I do draw the line on some sort of nautical helter skelter look.  I finished cleaning up at about 10:15 PM.

      So, at least until I get over it, I have new rules:

      1.       Paint everything, preferably in Teflon paint.

      2.       The rub rail should be adorned with something that looks like it should be corner molding for a loading dock.

      3.       Don’t ever let me do anything where damage can be done.

      Thank you for listening.  It helps, it really does.

      Bill Parker

      Schooner Charlene

      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      .

    • Giuliano Girometta
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18, 2011
        Next time don't use stain but after you stripped down the old finish, wash the hull with a saturated solution of oxalic acid and let it sit for about 15 mins. Than wash it down with water. The oxalic acid (That is not bad like the name sound) will restore the PH of the wood and bring back the original color. The rinse is needed because after the oxalic acid dryies, it return to crystals and if you sand the wood with those crystals it will irritate your respiratory ways.
        Oxalic acid can be purchased at any retailer specialized in refinishing supplies.

        Giuliano

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups

        .

      • Jerry Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2011
        Well since we are talkin about methods,thought I would share the method of a beginner builder.This is hopefully gonna be a Florence Oakland around this time next year.This stack of wood is supposed to be the keel and deadwood after some trimming and shaping of course.The frame that is there is one I mocked up out of scrap just to get an idea if my patterns from my lofting looked right.Any way it would be kewl if I could be lookin at a sunset like this one minus the land and trees this time next year from the cockpit of the "MISS KINDAL PULAR"
      • William E. Parker
        Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 2011

          Looks like a good start Jerry.  It would be good indeed.

          [Attachment(s) from Jerry Miller included below]

          Well since we are talkin about methods,thought I would share the method of a beginner builder.This is hopefully gonna be a Florence Oakland around this time next year.This stack of wood is supposed to be the keel and deadwood after some trimming and shaping of course.The frame that is there is one I mocked up out of scrap just to get an idea if my patterns from my lofting looked right.Any way it would be kewl if I could be lookin at a sunset like this one minus the land and trees this time next year from the cockpit of the "MISS KINDAL PULAR"

        • Brandon F
          Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20, 2011
            It does look like a good start. Don't be discouraged if it takes more than a year. Good things take time.

            Brandon
            http://valgerda.blogspot.com

            Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20, 2011

              I know....I already figure the year is an aggressive estimate.I will take the time needed,I wanna do this right the first time.