Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Displacement tunnel-stern seabright skiff

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2004
      How shallow a draft do you need? I know, the shallower the better, but would
      2' do? Take a look at Little Silver:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/LittleSilver.html

      Don't let the flat bottom put you off, Wader should be quite capable in the
      type of water you like to cruise in, and her draft is only 1' 5":

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/Wader.html

      For really low power a sailboat hullworks pretty good. Take a look at some
      of the shallow-hulled centerboard sailboats in the catalog, with an eye
      towards ditching the rig and adding a motorboat style cabin and cockpit
      (sorry Pat <g>). You might look at Twilight and Great Bear:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Twilight.html

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/GreatBear.html

      You're not crazy, going slow and easy is nice. Try to make your engine as
      unobtrusive as possible with vibration damping, sound insulation and good
      muffling of the exhaust. Quiet is a Good Thing in a boat. It's possible to
      put up with a noisy, vibratory engine in a fast boat because you get where
      you're going quick and can shut it off soon, but noise and vibration are a
      pain in the neck in a slow boat where you're trying to enjoy the journey...

      On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:00:21 -0000, Ron wrote:
      > This may sound crazy, but I plan a single-cylinder Diesel of 6.6 to
      > perhaps 8 hp cruising at about 3/4 max power. The background is that
      > we have done 3 month-long cruises (plus some shorter trips) in our
      > Balboa 8.2 sailboat and had a wonderful time
      > I'd like something about the same speed, economy,
      > seaworthiness, and accommodations, but with significantly better
      > weather protection and lower clearance to poke up interesting
      > gunkholes above bridges. We need shallower draft (tunnel stern) to
      > explore shallower, less visited sounds and creeks. I'd like to ditch
      > much of the 2300# ballast and rigging and regain seaworthiness by
      > adding length and perhaps narrowing the beam. The boat has to be
      > trailerable because we're based in Colorado. "River Belle" is close,
      > but somewhat bigger and much faster and more powerful than I have in
      > mind. I'd prefer plywood construction and a more traditional
      > sheerline. I'm open to suggestions for boats or modification of my
      > wishes.

      What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
      smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 2004
        Ron,

        Doesn?t sound crazy at all. With the price of petroleum products
        setting records, going slow may be the way of the future. Dave Gerr,
        NA in NY, has written several articles in Boat Builder magazine about
        displacement speed tunnel drive. He has designed several in the larger
        sizes (45 feet or so) and he seems to think tunnel drives are
        efficient at lower S/L ratios.

        Pick the design you like for seaworthiness and the displacement you
        need for your extended cruising. Power with 1 HP per 500 pounds
        displacement (seems to be the ROT for displacement speed hulls), and
        go for it! Some single cylinder diesels can vibrate too much for a
        very light boat. Another ROT is too make the engine bed logs weigh at
        least 20% of the engine weight (with gear).

        Good Luck,
        Lewis in Granada, Nicaragua

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "ronschwiesow" <nanron62@m...> wrote:
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, jkohnen@b... wrote:
        > > squeeze the most out of every electron. What sort of power are you
        > > contemplating?
        >
        > This may sound crazy, but I plan a single-cylinder Diesel of 6.6 to
        > perhaps 8 hp cruising at about 3/4 max power. The background is that
        > we have done 3 month-long cruises (plus some shorter trips) in our
        > Balboa 8.2 sailboat and had a wonderful time in the Pacific
        > Northwest, the upper 2/3 of the Chesapeake, and Pamlico and Albemarle
        > Sounds on 6.6 hp. The boat is about 26' LOD, 8'0" beam, 30" draft
        > board up, and 5000# or so displacement loaded. Based on these
        > experiences, I'd like something about the same speed, economy,
        > seaworthiness, and accommodations, but with significantly better
        > weather protection and lower clearance to poke up interesting
        > gunkholes above bridges. We need shallower draft (tunnel stern) to
        > explore shallower, less visited sounds and creeks. I'd like to ditch
        > much of the 2300# ballast and rigging and regain seaworthiness by
        > adding length and perhaps narrowing the beam. The boat has to be
        > trailerable because we're based in Colorado. "River Belle" is close,
        > but somewhat bigger and much faster and more powerful than I have in
        > mind. I'd prefer plywood construction and a more traditional
        > sheerline. I'm open to suggestions for boats or modification of my
        > wishes.
        >
        > Ron
      • DirtSailor
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 3, 2004
          Ron,

          While you were cruising around Ablemarle, and Pamlico, did you make it up to Coinjock for Dinner? I took a boat from Rockport Mass. down to Fort Lauderdale. Would really like to go back and spend some more time in the ditch.

          Case

        • ronschwiesow
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 3, 2004
            > ...You're not crazy, going slow and easy is nice.

            Thank you very much for your good suggestions, John and Lewis. This
            is a helpful board. You have given me much to think about. Wader is
            appealing with the shallow draft and good protection for the helm.
            I'll be doing comparisons and will need to order plans in a while.

            Ron
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5, 2004
              I looked at the MoToR BoatinG article about Wader last night. Nice boat! The
              design and Billy's prose made me want one for myself! <g> I think Wader
              would be just the ticket for Ron. Look at the lines, the forefoot is sharp
              and extends well below the waterline -- it'd take a lot of chop to make it
              pound; the bottom curves up gently to the waterline aft, making the boat
              easy to drive with low power (and making it a waste of money to put a big
              engine in it). The construction uses full frames and batten seams. The boat
              could be built with planks and still live on a trailer, but she could also
              easily be converted to plywood without changing the framing at all. The
              curved tumblehome at the stern would be a challenge, but it would be a shame
              to do away with it. Using batten seam plywood planks in that area, two
              layers of thin plywood planks, odd shaped chunks of plywood, or "cold
              molding" the sides aft out of two or three layers of thin diagonal plywood
              planks are a few ways the challenge could be met. As John Atkin says, "...
              in some cases the lines of a flat bottom or V-bottom hull are relatively
              simple so that the builder might adapt the construction to use plywood in
              sheet form. Occasionally, this will require some ingenuity."

              With a little care in the construction and finish Wader would be a nice
              looking boat, she'd turn heads wherever she went and most people would never
              realize that underneath she's just a flat-bottom skiff. <g> Don't you dare
              think about raising the cabin Ron! Five feet of headroom is plenty for
              standing and pulling your pants up in the morning and the rest of the time
              you'll be sitting or lying when below.

              On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:23:29 -0000, Ron wrote:
              > Thank you very much for your good suggestions, John and Lewis. This
              > is a helpful board. You have given me much to think about. Wader is
              > appealing with the shallow draft and good protection for the helm.
              > I'll be doing comparisons and will need to order plans in a while.

              After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
              well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
            • sdholt
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
                Greeting to all from Okinawa, Japan. A true island paradise.

                Can't believe after all the time (years) and money I've spent
                looking for just the right boat and I stumble on to
                Atkinboatplans.com. I've always equated the Atkins with double-
                enders. What a surprise.. I've been looking for a traditional style
                boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
                say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
                selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
                course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
                that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
                dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
                think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
                the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
                Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
                gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
                marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
                thoughts or comments...

                Arrrg....
              • sdholt
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
                  By the way the name is Scott.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                    Welcome aboard Scott! Schooners have been switched back and forth between
                    Marconi and gaff mainsails before. You've got to be careful not to move the
                    center of effort of the sail plan very much, or you'll spoil the sailing
                    balance of the boat. Jim Michalak (rhymes with "metallic") has a good
                    introduction to figuring out sail areas and centers of effort here:

                    http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

                    Of course it's more complicated with all the sails a schooner carries! <g>
                    Just use the working sails for the math, not the light weather stuff.

                    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:16 -0000, Scott wrote:
                    > I've been looking for a traditional style
                    > boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
                    > say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
                    > selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
                    > course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
                    > that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
                    > dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
                    > think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
                    > the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
                    > Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
                    > gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
                    > marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
                    > thoughts or comments...

                    One boat just leads to another.
                    <John Kohnen>
                  • Scott Holt
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                      John,
                      Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
                      informative. I would never take it upon my self to
                      change any design for fear of botching the job. A
                      designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
                      backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
                      designs are proven. That being the case I would not
                      change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

                      By the way I did not realize you are the same John
                      from "The Mother of All Maritime Links." Great site
                      and lots of fun and information. I use it often..

                      Thanks.
                      Scott

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • Bruce Elfstrom
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                        Hello Scott. I know it's not an Atkin's, but I have a free Murray
                        Peterson 44 Schooner here. Its in need of restoration, but she has
                        very nice traditional coaster lines.

                        Let me know---I will have some pix, etc on www.classicworkboat.com
                        ASAP---some info already there.

                        Cheers, Bruce
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                          Even if you're just changing the mainsail of a schooner check the center of
                          effort. Of course if you change the mainsail to a gaff sail you're on your
                          own and Mrs. Atkin won't have anything to do with you any more! ;o) Getting
                          professional help shouldn't cost much, especially when you compare it to the
                          cost of building the schooner. Jay Benford used to work for the Atkins, and
                          is familiar with traditonal rigs. He'd be a good designer to ask for help:

                          http://www.benford.us/

                          If you had a professional draw a gaff mainsail for you Mrs. Atkin might even
                          forgive you! ;o)

                          On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:

                          > John,
                          > Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
                          > informative. I would never take it upon my self to
                          > change any design for fear of botching the job. A
                          > designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
                          > backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
                          > designs are proven. That being the case I would not
                          > change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

                          There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
                          the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
                          <H. L. Mencken>
                        • Scott Holt
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                            Thanks for the info Bruce. 43' is far to much boat
                            for me. That's why I was so excited about finding
                            Atkin's 30'/ 36' schooners.

                            By the way I'm also in Okinawa, Japan. Another
                            typhoon is heading our way..

                            http://vote.yahoo.com
                          • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                              Welcome to the list, Scott. As long as the topic is current, let me add that I have put together a personal site for Atkin schooner enthusiasts called "A Celebration of Atkin Schooners". It is meant to be a place where those who are interested can get information and see other people's Atkin schooners. Frankly, it's just a shameless ploy on my part to find other Atkin schooner owners to talk to.

                              Here is the URL:
                              http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker

                              I welcome all feedback that makes sense. The best way to leave that is via the guest book.

                              Best,
                              Bill

                            • Scott Holt
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                                Thanks for the link. I like it and can't wait for
                                other Atkins schooner owners to send in their
                                pictures. I added your site to my favorite site list
                                and will check often for updates. Thanks..

                                How can you not love the sight of a schooner..

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004

                                      http://messenger.yahoo.com