Alajuela 38 Origins

  • dangerconz
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
      Hi all,

      I'm researching the Alajuela 38 for a potential article on bluewaterboats.org, hoping some people here can shed some light on her origins.

      I have 2 conflicting stories.
      (1) It was derived from the Ingrid, and some inference that it was a bootleg copy.

      (2) It was patterned off "Gaucho" designed by Manuel Campos, who was influenced by Colin Archer and Atkins

      Story 1 seems to be the most commonly told one. Anyone have the full details?

      Cheers
      Will
    • JohnA
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2011
        Hi Will,

        Looks like an interesting website. Is it yours?

        The best information is in the book:

        BEST BOATS TO BUILD OR BUY by Ferenc Máté.

        Another book that tells about the background of the different designs that have developed from William Atkin's work is:

        THE AMERICAN SAILBOAT by Gregory O. Jones

        -- John

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dangerconz" <will@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm researching the Alajuela 38 for a potential article on bluewaterboats.org, hoping some people here can shed some light on her origins.
        >
        > I have 2 conflicting stories.
        > (1) It was derived from the Ingrid, and some inference that it was a bootleg copy.
        >
        > (2) It was patterned off "Gaucho" designed by Manuel Campos, who was influenced by Colin Archer and Atkins
        >
        > Story 1 seems to be the most commonly told one. Anyone have the full details?
        >
        > Cheers
        > Will

      • Will Lau
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2011
          Hi John,

          Yes thanks, I kicked off the site, three of us write consistently with
          contributions from the community, always on the lookout for more
          contributors.

          Thanks for the Book suggestions, I have read the Ferenc article and
          also Cruising World's review and I suspect they have omitted something
          of the real story and Rod Jermaine's input. Anyway I've made contact
          with Rod and will get and up to date article published.

          Cheers
          Will

          On Friday, 8 April 2011, JohnA <jalmberg@...> wrote:

          > Hi Will,
          >
          > Looks like an interesting website. Is it yours?
          >
          > The best information is in the book:
          >
          > BEST BOATS TO BUILD OR BUY by Ferenc Máté.
          >
          > Another book that tells about the background of the different designs that have developed from William Atkin's work is:
          >
          > THE AMERICAN SAILBOAT by Gregory O. Jones
          >
          > -- John
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dangerconz" <will@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> I'm researching the Alajuela 38 for a potential article on bluewaterboats.org, hoping some people here can shed some light on her origins.
          >>
          >> I have 2 conflicting stories.
          >> (1) It was derived from the Ingrid, and some inference that it was a bootleg copy.
          >>
          >> (2) It was patterned off "Gaucho" designed by Manuel Campos, who was influenced by Colin Archer and Atkins
          >>
          >> Story 1 seems to be the most commonly told one. Anyone have the full details?
          >>
          >> Cheers
          >> Will

          <http://danger.co.nz>
        • John Almberg

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2011
              I sold my copy of "Best Boats" when I bought my Tom Gilmer "Blue Moon" (another boat you might consider for your collection), so I can't review it, but there is no doubt that the chain of builders described in Best Boats is accurate.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Will Lau <will@...> wrote:

              > Hi John,
              >
              > Yes thanks, I kicked off the site, three of us write consistently with
              > contributions from the community, always on the lookout for more
              > contributors.
              >
              > Thanks for the Book suggestions, I have read the Ferenc article and
              > also Cruising World's review and I suspect they have omitted something
              > of the real story and Rod Jermaine's input. Anyway I've made contact
              > with Rod and will get and up to date article published.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Will

            • Will Lau
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2011
                Hi John,

                Best Boats as well as the 1999 Cruising World article (which I suspect is a derives research from Best Boats) both omit Rod Jermaine's input, we're in communication, just waiting for him to clear some time, will write it up once I have it. He's like the forgotten chapter in the story, being builder co-founder and co-owner in the venture with Mike Riding.

                I did your suggestion on the lines, they are very similar, slightly different in the sheer, but can hardly pick it, though it's really rough just checking the side profile (without the sections), I'm pretty confident it's an Ingrid derivative.

                Cheers
                Will