Re: Displacement tunnel-stern seabright skiff

  • ronschwiesow
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2004
      > squeeze the most out of every electron. What sort of power are you
      > contemplating?

      This may sound crazy, but I plan a single-cylinder Diesel of 6.6 to
      perhaps 8 hp cruising at about 3/4 max power. The background is that
      we have done 3 month-long cruises (plus some shorter trips) in our
      Balboa 8.2 sailboat and had a wonderful time in the Pacific
      Northwest, the upper 2/3 of the Chesapeake, and Pamlico and Albemarle
      Sounds on 6.6 hp. The boat is about 26' LOD, 8'0" beam, 30" draft
      board up, and 5000# or so displacement loaded. Based on these
      experiences, I'd like something about the same speed, economy,
      seaworthiness, and accommodations, but with significantly better
      weather protection and lower clearance to poke up interesting
      gunkholes above bridges. We need shallower draft (tunnel stern) to
      explore shallower, less visited sounds and creeks. I'd like to ditch
      much of the 2300# ballast and rigging and regain seaworthiness by
      adding length and perhaps narrowing the beam. The boat has to be
      trailerable because we're based in Colorado. "River Belle" is close,
      but somewhat bigger and much faster and more powerful than I have in
      mind. I'd prefer plywood construction and a more traditional
      sheerline. I'm open to suggestions for boats or modification of my
      wishes.

      Ron
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 2004
        How shallow a draft do you need? I know, the shallower the better, but would
        2' do? Take a look at Little Silver:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/LittleSilver.html

        Don't let the flat bottom put you off, Wader should be quite capable in the
        type of water you like to cruise in, and her draft is only 1' 5":

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/Wader.html

        For really low power a sailboat hullworks pretty good. Take a look at some
        of the shallow-hulled centerboard sailboats in the catalog, with an eye
        towards ditching the rig and adding a motorboat style cabin and cockpit
        (sorry Pat <g>). You might look at Twilight and Great Bear:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Twilight.html

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/GreatBear.html

        You're not crazy, going slow and easy is nice. Try to make your engine as
        unobtrusive as possible with vibration damping, sound insulation and good
        muffling of the exhaust. Quiet is a Good Thing in a boat. It's possible to
        put up with a noisy, vibratory engine in a fast boat because you get where
        you're going quick and can shut it off soon, but noise and vibration are a
        pain in the neck in a slow boat where you're trying to enjoy the journey...

        On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:00:21 -0000, Ron wrote:
        > This may sound crazy, but I plan a single-cylinder Diesel of 6.6 to
        > perhaps 8 hp cruising at about 3/4 max power. The background is that
        > we have done 3 month-long cruises (plus some shorter trips) in our
        > Balboa 8.2 sailboat and had a wonderful time
        > I'd like something about the same speed, economy,
        > seaworthiness, and accommodations, but with significantly better
        > weather protection and lower clearance to poke up interesting
        > gunkholes above bridges. We need shallower draft (tunnel stern) to
        > explore shallower, less visited sounds and creeks. I'd like to ditch
        > much of the 2300# ballast and rigging and regain seaworthiness by
        > adding length and perhaps narrowing the beam. The boat has to be
        > trailerable because we're based in Colorado. "River Belle" is close,
        > but somewhat bigger and much faster and more powerful than I have in
        > mind. I'd prefer plywood construction and a more traditional
        > sheerline. I'm open to suggestions for boats or modification of my
        > wishes.

        What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
        smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>
      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2004
          Ron,

          Doesn?t sound crazy at all. With the price of petroleum products
          setting records, going slow may be the way of the future. Dave Gerr,
          NA in NY, has written several articles in Boat Builder magazine about
          displacement speed tunnel drive. He has designed several in the larger
          sizes (45 feet or so) and he seems to think tunnel drives are
          efficient at lower S/L ratios.

          Pick the design you like for seaworthiness and the displacement you
          need for your extended cruising. Power with 1 HP per 500 pounds
          displacement (seems to be the ROT for displacement speed hulls), and
          go for it! Some single cylinder diesels can vibrate too much for a
          very light boat. Another ROT is too make the engine bed logs weigh at
          least 20% of the engine weight (with gear).

          Good Luck,
          Lewis in Granada, Nicaragua

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "ronschwiesow" <nanron62@m...> wrote:
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, jkohnen@b... wrote:
          > > squeeze the most out of every electron. What sort of power are you
          > > contemplating?
          >
          > This may sound crazy, but I plan a single-cylinder Diesel of 6.6 to
          > perhaps 8 hp cruising at about 3/4 max power. The background is that
          > we have done 3 month-long cruises (plus some shorter trips) in our
          > Balboa 8.2 sailboat and had a wonderful time in the Pacific
          > Northwest, the upper 2/3 of the Chesapeake, and Pamlico and Albemarle
          > Sounds on 6.6 hp. The boat is about 26' LOD, 8'0" beam, 30" draft
          > board up, and 5000# or so displacement loaded. Based on these
          > experiences, I'd like something about the same speed, economy,
          > seaworthiness, and accommodations, but with significantly better
          > weather protection and lower clearance to poke up interesting
          > gunkholes above bridges. We need shallower draft (tunnel stern) to
          > explore shallower, less visited sounds and creeks. I'd like to ditch
          > much of the 2300# ballast and rigging and regain seaworthiness by
          > adding length and perhaps narrowing the beam. The boat has to be
          > trailerable because we're based in Colorado. "River Belle" is close,
          > but somewhat bigger and much faster and more powerful than I have in
          > mind. I'd prefer plywood construction and a more traditional
          > sheerline. I'm open to suggestions for boats or modification of my
          > wishes.
          >
          > Ron
        • DirtSailor
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 3, 2004
            Ron,

            While you were cruising around Ablemarle, and Pamlico, did you make it up to Coinjock for Dinner? I took a boat from Rockport Mass. down to Fort Lauderdale. Would really like to go back and spend some more time in the ditch.

            Case

          • ronschwiesow
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 3, 2004
              > ...You're not crazy, going slow and easy is nice.

              Thank you very much for your good suggestions, John and Lewis. This
              is a helpful board. You have given me much to think about. Wader is
              appealing with the shallow draft and good protection for the helm.
              I'll be doing comparisons and will need to order plans in a while.

              Ron
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5, 2004
                I looked at the MoToR BoatinG article about Wader last night. Nice boat! The
                design and Billy's prose made me want one for myself! <g> I think Wader
                would be just the ticket for Ron. Look at the lines, the forefoot is sharp
                and extends well below the waterline -- it'd take a lot of chop to make it
                pound; the bottom curves up gently to the waterline aft, making the boat
                easy to drive with low power (and making it a waste of money to put a big
                engine in it). The construction uses full frames and batten seams. The boat
                could be built with planks and still live on a trailer, but she could also
                easily be converted to plywood without changing the framing at all. The
                curved tumblehome at the stern would be a challenge, but it would be a shame
                to do away with it. Using batten seam plywood planks in that area, two
                layers of thin plywood planks, odd shaped chunks of plywood, or "cold
                molding" the sides aft out of two or three layers of thin diagonal plywood
                planks are a few ways the challenge could be met. As John Atkin says, "...
                in some cases the lines of a flat bottom or V-bottom hull are relatively
                simple so that the builder might adapt the construction to use plywood in
                sheet form. Occasionally, this will require some ingenuity."

                With a little care in the construction and finish Wader would be a nice
                looking boat, she'd turn heads wherever she went and most people would never
                realize that underneath she's just a flat-bottom skiff. <g> Don't you dare
                think about raising the cabin Ron! Five feet of headroom is plenty for
                standing and pulling your pants up in the morning and the rest of the time
                you'll be sitting or lying when below.

                On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:23:29 -0000, Ron wrote:
                > Thank you very much for your good suggestions, John and Lewis. This
                > is a helpful board. You have given me much to think about. Wader is
                > appealing with the shallow draft and good protection for the helm.
                > I'll be doing comparisons and will need to order plans in a while.

                After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
                well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
              • sdholt
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
                  Greeting to all from Okinawa, Japan. A true island paradise.

                  Can't believe after all the time (years) and money I've spent
                  looking for just the right boat and I stumble on to
                  Atkinboatplans.com. I've always equated the Atkins with double-
                  enders. What a surprise.. I've been looking for a traditional style
                  boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
                  say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
                  selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
                  course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
                  that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
                  dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
                  think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
                  the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
                  Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
                  gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
                  marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
                  thoughts or comments...

                  Arrrg....
                • sdholt
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
                    By the way the name is Scott.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                      Welcome aboard Scott! Schooners have been switched back and forth between
                      Marconi and gaff mainsails before. You've got to be careful not to move the
                      center of effort of the sail plan very much, or you'll spoil the sailing
                      balance of the boat. Jim Michalak (rhymes with "metallic") has a good
                      introduction to figuring out sail areas and centers of effort here:

                      http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

                      Of course it's more complicated with all the sails a schooner carries! <g>
                      Just use the working sails for the math, not the light weather stuff.

                      On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:16 -0000, Scott wrote:
                      > I've been looking for a traditional style
                      > boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
                      > say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
                      > selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
                      > course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
                      > that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
                      > dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
                      > think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
                      > the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
                      > Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
                      > gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
                      > marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
                      > thoughts or comments...

                      One boat just leads to another.
                      <John Kohnen>
                    • Scott Holt
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                        John,
                        Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
                        informative. I would never take it upon my self to
                        change any design for fear of botching the job. A
                        designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
                        backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
                        designs are proven. That being the case I would not
                        change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

                        By the way I did not realize you are the same John
                        from "The Mother of All Maritime Links." Great site
                        and lots of fun and information. I use it often..

                        Thanks.
                        Scott

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Bruce Elfstrom
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                          Hello Scott. I know it's not an Atkin's, but I have a free Murray
                          Peterson 44 Schooner here. Its in need of restoration, but she has
                          very nice traditional coaster lines.

                          Let me know---I will have some pix, etc on www.classicworkboat.com
                          ASAP---some info already there.

                          Cheers, Bruce
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                            Even if you're just changing the mainsail of a schooner check the center of
                            effort. Of course if you change the mainsail to a gaff sail you're on your
                            own and Mrs. Atkin won't have anything to do with you any more! ;o) Getting
                            professional help shouldn't cost much, especially when you compare it to the
                            cost of building the schooner. Jay Benford used to work for the Atkins, and
                            is familiar with traditonal rigs. He'd be a good designer to ask for help:

                            http://www.benford.us/

                            If you had a professional draw a gaff mainsail for you Mrs. Atkin might even
                            forgive you! ;o)

                            On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:

                            > John,
                            > Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
                            > informative. I would never take it upon my self to
                            > change any design for fear of botching the job. A
                            > designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
                            > backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
                            > designs are proven. That being the case I would not
                            > change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

                            There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
                            the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
                            <H. L. Mencken>
                          • Scott Holt
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                              Thanks for the info Bruce. 43' is far to much boat
                              for me. That's why I was so excited about finding
                              Atkin's 30'/ 36' schooners.

                              By the way I'm also in Okinawa, Japan. Another
                              typhoon is heading our way..

                              http://vote.yahoo.com
                            • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                                Welcome to the list, Scott. As long as the topic is current, let me add that I have put together a personal site for Atkin schooner enthusiasts called "A Celebration of Atkin Schooners". It is meant to be a place where those who are interested can get information and see other people's Atkin schooners. Frankly, it's just a shameless ploy on my part to find other Atkin schooner owners to talk to.

                                Here is the URL:
                                http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker

                                I welcome all feedback that makes sense. The best way to leave that is via the guest book.

                                Best,
                                Bill

                              • Scott Holt
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                                  Thanks for the link. I like it and can't wait for
                                  other Atkins schooner owners to send in their
                                  pictures. I added your site to my favorite site list
                                  and will check often for updates. Thanks..

                                  How can you not love the sight of a schooner..

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004

                                        http://messenger.yahoo.com