Re: Just indulge me please

  • Billy
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011
      What I was asking was why are walter piel and sixteen too lines exactly the same yet one is for an inboard and one is for an outboard engine???????? I wouldn't build one of my dreamboats without using the specified engine either. I just wanted to know why the lines of the aforementioned boats exactly ( designers words, not mine ) yet one is for an outboard and one for inboard power.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Billy" <billybronaugh@...> wrote:

      > A question from the uneducated. OK, I don't get it. Why, if boats designed for inboard and outboard power are different and you can't use an outboard power in a boat designed for an inboard and vise versa, are the lines for walter piel and sixteen too exactle the same? In fact there are several others in the utilities catagory that are similar to walter piel yet all the others are for inboard power.
      > Due to my budget, I simply can not afford an inboard system(already have outboards). Plus, I know little to nothing about them (easily fixable unlike my budget). There are so many of the Atkin designs that, like everyone else here, I absolutely love, several that I feel like I have the skill to build, if only I could use an outboard engine. Don't worry, I wouldn't, but don't think I have not been tempted. Tom Davin comes immediately to mind. Pollard 19, Haven would be at the top of the list, Mitty Ann, Ketewomok and hearts desire, just to name a few.
      > Anyway, just curious. Hope you guys don't mind answering this type of question. Thanks

    • John Almberg
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
        Ah. I think I finally understand your question. Sorry... I should have read all the emails.

        Again, I'm not a boat designer, but here's my best understanding...

        Motor boats need different lines from, say, rowing boats, because for some reason -- which I don't really understand -- motor boats like to drag a bit of transom, whereas with a rowing boat or sail boat, you want the transom out of the water. There are other differences that have to do with the possibility that a motor boat can plane, but you get the idea.

        However, a motor boat is a motor boat, whether the motor is inboard or outboard, which is why the lines of Walter Piel and Sixteen Too can be the same.

        Then the question is, is there physical room to mount an outboard or inboard? Look at where Sixteen Too's inboard is mounted. Way up front so the prop doesn't emerge with too much angle.

        Finally, weight distribution... Assuming that the inboard weighs a lot more than the outboard, putting the inboard in the center of the boat is 'neutral' to the lines. I.e., it doesn't weigh down the bow or stern. The weight of the outboard is probably negligible compared to the rest of the boat + passengers + gear, so has little effect on trim.

        Hope this helps.

        -- John

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
          > > like I have the skill to build, if only I could use an outboard
          > > engine. Don't worry, I wouldn't, but don't think I have not been
          > > tempted. Tom Davin comes immediately to mind. Pollard 19, Haven would
          > > be at the top of the list, Mitty Ann, Ketewomok and hearts desire,
          > > just to name a few.

          Wow! Thanks for calling my attention to the Ketewomoke. I am actually a member of the Ketewomoke YC. I knew I lived in the same town that William Atkin got his start, but didn't realized I belonged to the same yacht club. Cool!

          "Several hundred years ago the site of the town of Huntington, L. I., N. Y., and its surrounding waters was named by the Indians, Ketewomoke. The Indian name was chosen by the yacht club at Halesite, of which, by the way, I was a charter member. The club was formed in 1913; that is a long time ago. As a token of respect for that friendly organization, the latest member of MoToR BoatingG's family of practical boats bears the name Ketewomoke."

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Ketewomoke.html
        • davy riggs
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
            John has the idea.  Whether hanging on the transom or nestled amidships, it really doesn't matter where the 50# motor goes.   Were we talking about 150hp motors and their ancillary liquids and solids, it could then be a big deal and we would need to make adjustments to the weight-bearing capacity of the installation.   But when you have one or two 200-pounders in a sixteen-foot boat, fighting fish, fetching beer etc., placement of the engine is not the deciding factor.

            Dave

            Man proposes- God disposes. -U.S. Grant
          • Billy
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
              As, I am sure, everyone can also tell, I am no designer either. I peruse the atkin site about 10 times a day, just looking and, though it's neither here nor there, hence the title of the thread, it was just curious to me as to why those two were the same yet specified different types of power.
              I appreciate the indulgence everyone has given this pointless thread, though to be completely honest, I am still not sure I get it, well, maybe a little. I am sorta dense that way, just ask my wife.Like I said, it was a completely whimsical question to start with.
              I do however have a more relavent question if you please. Would Elon Jessup require a short or long shaft motor? Could the transom be made to accept either?