RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: Ninigret

  • Stephen Paul
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 18, 2011
      Great pics and you do gorgeous work Mr Roe.

      I'm pretty committed to building a Ninigret as well, so thanks for all the comments.

      Steve

      Steve Paul

      206-683-2961

      Notes From the Job Search

      www.linkedin.com/in/StephenMPaul

      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      From: calfee20@...
      Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 03:36:40 +0000
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Ninigret

      I saw this thread so I posted 3 photos under Ninigret that I don't think are very available. I really love this boat or maybe the Blackbird.....sssshhhhh Ididn't say that............Calfee

    • boydmaine
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 18

        All this talk about the Shoals Runner reminds me of a somewhat similar boat, my Ninigret. You may recall that about a year ago I was wondering  what kind of power to use and decided to get a 30hp 4 cycle Honda short shaft. My apologies for not getting back to this group since launching the boat last summer.

        I have found Ninigret (my "Annie B") to be a wonderful boat. Atkin called her a bass boat with good reason, I think, because of how easily she cuts through waves and yet is a stable, easily-driven boat. With the 30hp Honda she tops out at 18mph as advertised with one person aboard. Each additional person will reduce the speed noticeably, but with 4 adults aboard she still runs flat, albeit at about 13mph. Ninigret's draught is about 12".

        I'll send another picture of Annie B in the water so you can see how much freeboard she has, which means she's a dry and comfortable boat.

        I want to add that I took the boat to the WoodenBoat show at Mystic, CT last summer and showed her in the "I Built It Myself" section. There was a LOT of interest in her, mostly from more sedate sorts who were presumable more interested in the overall ride than in speed. That's what I'm interested in, too. Ninigret fills the bill so well.

        Bill Boyd

        PS  As a reminder: the bare hull was built in the Maine Maritime Museum's Boatshop by volunteers (of which I was one) and then brought to my garage where I finished it off.

      • boydmaine
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 18
        • 1 Attachment
        • 1.1 MB
        The Annie B
      • calfee20
        Message 4 of 18 , Jan 22
          I recognize something in that photo.  I'm about 15 minutes from you.  It is nice to know such a great boat is in the area.
        • boydmaine
          Message 5 of 18 , Jan 23
            Sometime after May 1 let me know if you'd like to talk Ninigret.