UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Mystery Solved!

  • John Almberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2011
      Last time, I complained about a mystery that has plagued me and at least one of the Blue Moon's former owners: how to hoist and control a sail when the mast, boom, and yard are essentially bare poles?

      As usual, there isn't any mystery for experienced builder/sailors -- i.e., for those few, those happy few, for whom the lost arts of the wooden boat sailors are not lost.

      But for the rest of us, this voyage into the past must be one of discovery...

      Read complete blog post:

      Strong grommets: John

    • G B
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2011
        Very neat!  Yes I remember reading about the rope grommets in Brian Toss' book. Good job on the mystery and the write-up!

        Greg

        To: atkinboats@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23, 2011
          Greg,

          I think grommets are like eye splices... once you figure out how to make them, you can't figure out how you ever got along without them  :-)

          -- John

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 23, 2011
            John;

            it's on my list to go out and get some rope this weekend and start practicing those splices. Looking forward to getting my small bakyard shop done and making some of my own blocks too. These will just be for fun and I don't know yet what sizes I'll need. All in due time.

            cheers
            Greg

            To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com