UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Mystery of the Blue Moon

  • John Almberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2011
      For my entire 2000 mile cruise around Florida and up the east coast of the US, I was never satisfied with the way the Blue Moon's sails were rigged. The staysail, for instance, didn't self-tack without adjustment. The mainsheet was awkward to use. And the mizzen was downright dangerous!

      Being new to gaffers and wooden boats, I blamed myself. I just didn't know how to use the gear properly. But gradually I began to suspect the problem went deeper than that.

      And now I'm convinced the Blue Moon was rigged all wrong!

      Read complete blog post:

      http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2011/03/mystery-of-blue-moon.html

      Cheers: John

    • G B
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2011
        John

        That is a very interesting read... and now I have to wait for the next installment!!??  oh how cruel! ;)

        I know nothing about mizzen, but am very intrigued now on how they work.

        cheers
        Greg

        To: atkinboats@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2011
          > That is a very interesting read... and now I have to wait for the next installment!!?? oh how cruel! ;)
          >
          > I know nothing about mizzen, but am very intrigued now on how they work.

          Thanks. I have to take a break from building Vintage to get ready for the spring. It's sailing weather here in New York, today. Yay!