Re: [AtkinBoats] Raising Sails

  • Elaina McCartney
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2011
      I've always used forth and back on Tresarus, with no problems. There is
      picture in Leather's Gaff Rig Handbook, and a poor reproduction of the
      picture here, if you scroll down:
      http://www.gaffrigpage.com/detail-pages/the-main-sail/

      What doesn't show well in the picture is that every other line that
      crosses the mast is drawn dashed, to signify that it's behind the mast
      from this view. You go around the mast, through the grommet "forth" then
      through the next grommet "back", then around the mast in the same
      direction as previous. A bight with a figure eight at the reef grommet
      makes it easy to handle when reefing.

      Elaina

      On 3/6/11 5:56 PM, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@...> wrote:

      >There's a kind of lacing called "forth and back" that will silde up and
      >down easily and won't jam. It's hard to explain, but not difficult to do.
      >
      >I'll draw a sketch or take a photo if anyone's interested... There's no
      >reason not to use individual luff ties or mast hoops on Nymph if you
      >want,
      >but of course you'd have to make your own mast hoops. One of our Coots
      >made mast hoops out of wooden needlepoint hoops, but I doubt you'd be
      >able
      >to find any small enough for Nymph.
      >
      >The halyard appears to do double duty as a forestay. Run it through a
      >block fastened to the back of the stem and aft to a cleat where it's easy
      >
      >to get to.
      >
      >The plans may not have more details than the drawings in The Small Boat
      >Book I just looked at, just bigger drawings. Nymph's rig is quite simple
      >and easy to figure out anyway.
      >

      >On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 06:09:40 -0800, Jim L wrote:
      >
      >> I have a friend who is building a 10 ft Nymph. It will be finished in
      >> the spring.
      >>
      >> I will have the pleasure of providing some sailing lessons. I am the
      >> owner of an O'Day Mariner (Blue Moon #1440). Is there anything unique
      >> about raising the sail on the Nymph. From picture it appears that they
      >> are laced on. Do they raise and llower easily? Is there a traditional
      >>
      >> halyard? Would their plans have rigging information?
      >
      >--
      >John (jkohnen@...)
      >No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
      >society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
      >shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
      >stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. (P.J. O'Rourke)
      >

      >------------------------------------
      >
      >No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
      >polite.
      >
      >If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If
      >you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will
      >take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.
      >
      >The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      ><http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • William E. Parker
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2011

        My Florence Oakland is laced on both the main and fore and I really don’t have a problem hoisting or dousing, except if the lace gets caught on something in the process of raising.  I use the forth and back method.  I don’t use a lace for the gaffs and booms, I use individual ties.  In my experience, letting the gaff get angled to the mast when raising or lowering is far more of a problem, solved by handing both the throat and peak halyards together after getting the gaff perpendicular to the mast.

        Best,

        Bill

        I've always used forth and back on Tresarus, with no problems. There is
        picture in Leather's Gaff Rig Handbook, and a poor reproduction of the
        picture here, if you scroll down:
        http://www.gaffrigpage.com/detail-pages/the-main-sail/

        What doesn't show well in the picture is that every other line that
        crosses the mast is drawn dashed, to signify that it's behind the mast
        from this view. You go around the mast, through the grommet "forth" then
        through the next grommet "back", then around the mast in the same
        direction as previous. A bight with a figure eight at the reef grommet
        makes it easy to handle when reefing.

        Elaina

        On 3/6/11 5:56 PM, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@...> wrote:

        >There's a kind of lacing called "forth and back" that will silde up and
        >down easily and won't jam. It's hard to explain, but not difficult to do.
        >
        >I'll draw a sketch or take a photo if anyone's interested... There's no
        >reason not to use individual luff ties or mast hoops on Nymph if you
        >want,
        >but of course you'd have to make your own mast hoops. One of our Coots
        >made mast hoops out of wooden needlepoint hoops, but I doubt you'd be
        >able
        >to find any small enough for Nymph.
        >
        >The halyard appears to do double duty as a forestay. Run it through a
        >block fastened to the back of the stem and aft to a cleat where it's easy
        >
        >to get to.
        >
        >The plans may not have more details than the drawings in The Small Boat
        >Book I just looked at, just bigger drawings. Nymph's rig is quite simple
        >and easy to figure out anyway.
        >

        >On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 06:09:40 -0800, Jim L wrote:
        >
        >> I have a friend who is building a 10 ft Nymph. It will be finished in
        >> the spring.
        >>
        >> I will have the pleasure of providing some sailing lessons. I am the
        >> owner of an O'Day Mariner (Blue Moon #1440). Is there anything unique
        >> about raising the sail on the Nymph. From picture it appears that they
        >> are laced on. Do they raise and llower easily? Is there a traditional
        >>
        >> halyard? Would their plans have rigging information?
        >
        >--
        >John (jkohnen@...)
        >No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
        >society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
        >shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
        >stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. (P.J. O'Rourke)
        >

        >------------------------------------
        >
        >No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
        >polite.
        >
        >If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If
        >you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will
        >take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.
        >
        >The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        ><http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Almberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 6, 2011
          >  In my
          experience, letting the gaff get angled to the mast when raising or lowering is far more of a problem, solved by handing both the throat and peak halyards together after getting the gaff perpendicular to the mast.

          I find it helps to keep the gaff peaked up a just bit while raising and lowering. I guess it probably depends on the gaff throat, though.
        • John Almberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2011
            John Almberg wrote:

            >  In my experience, letting the gaff get angled to the mast when raising or lowering is far more of a problem, solved by handing both the throat and peak halyards together after getting the gaff perpendicular to the mast.

            I find it helps to keep the gaff peaked up a just bit while raising and lowering. I guess it probably depends on the gaff throat, though.

            Sorry... I meant gaff jaws, of course. Is spring coming soon? I'm starting to forget this stuff, it's been so long :-)