Re: Epoxy

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 5, 2011
      > I have great respect for resorcinol, and it certainly does a great job on
      > big structures. I used it on my mast. The problem isn't simply the
      > structure, but controlling moisture in the wood. For now, I can see nothing
      > better for that than epoxy.

      I thought that resorcinol was more waterproof than epoxy? Also, I've never heard of any issues with oak. Seems like the perfect solution for an oak backbone.
    • William E. Parker
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 5, 2011

        Resorcinol is waterproof, no doubt about it.  I was not worrying about the joint, just the question of rot.  Oak probably will not rot; it will swell up and dry out with the cycle of launching and pulling most of us in the North have to deal with.  If the boat is to be in the water continuously, and you have a good bottom paint, it probably isn’t a question.  I remember vividly looking at a folkboat that had been on its cradle over the winter in Michigan.  You could see through parts of the deadwood.  The owner saw me looking and said “Don’t worry, it’ll soak up.”  I have always worried.

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 5, 2011
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "William E. Parker" <wmeparker@...> wrote:

          >stainless steel does not remain stainless if it isn't
          > exposed to the air. Keelbolts should be bronze for this reason.

          Hear, hear! Same applies to chain plates and everything else that goes through the deck.

          Galvanized steel works too and is a little easier to come by.

          Brandon