UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Learn the Rules, First!

  • John Almberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2011
      I always say I don't know how to do something until I'm done. This is because of a technique that I learned writing software.

      In the olden days (say, the 1980s) software 'engineers', as we were called back then, would study a problem exhaustively, devise a strategy to solve it, create a rigid 'waterfall' project plan, and 'engineer' a program.

      This engineering approach to software development failed miserably. Turns out, building software isn't like building a bridge. It's more like writing music. You start out with an idea and plink out a few notes on the piano. If you like them, you keep them. If not, you plink out a few more and keep going until you have a whole song.

      In other words, you start writing the song without really knowing where you are going or how you are going to get there. You confidently proceed as though you know the song will turn out in the end and somehow, magically, it does! At least most of the time...

      Read complete blog post:

      http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2011/03/know-rules.html

      Cheers: John