Re: Russell R.

  • Bob Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 23, 2004
      You're right. I was seeing what was in my mind, not what was in front
      of my eye. You can see what I'm talking about on Shore Liner, which is
      one of my favorites.

      Bob
      ---

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
        This fellow emailed me in private, but his question really belongs here:

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
          My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
          the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
          crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
          through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
          We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
          knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
          frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
          We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
          seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
          boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
          from wonderful to risky.
          The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
          Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
          tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
          scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
          that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
          sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
          make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
          possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
          transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
          a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
          Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
          make engine/other recommendations?

          Thanks in advance!

          Charley
        • huttbldr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
            Hey Charlie,
            I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with 1/2 in.
            ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu outboard. Be happy
            to answer any questions.

            Good Luck, Jeff

          • echo172@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
              I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing is firmed up.
              Bruce in NJ

              From: "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...>
              My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
              the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
              crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
              through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
              We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
              knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
              frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
              We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
              seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
              boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
              from wonderful to risky.
              Recent Activity
              7New Members
              2New Photos
              Visit Your Group
              Atkin
              Building plan
              Deck building plan
              House building plan
              Home building plan
              Yahoo! News
              US News
              Get the latest
              national news now
              Y! GeoCities
              Create a Blog
              And tell the world
              what you think.
              Sitebuilder
              Free Download
              Build your web
              site in minutes..

            • chunsdorfer
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                > Hey Charlie,
                > I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with
                1/2 in.
                > ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu
                outboard. Be happy
                > to answer any questions.
                >
                > Good Luck, Jeff

                Jeff, I'd love to hear about or even see the results.
                I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at higher
                planing speeds, 3/8" might be too light for the sides. If your
                gunwales are sturdy, it might help make up for it.
                Since I'll often be carrying full fishing gear (coolers and ice,
                tackle boxes, bait, at least 2 people, spare fuel, etc.), plus the
                heavier scantlings and cuddy, I feel like I need at least 25hp, but
                it would be great if you prove my suspicions wrong.
                Please keep us updated!
              • chunsdorfer
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
                  Bruce,
                  I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the
                  Russell R. by 10%, I'm also considering adding 2" between the
                  stations, which would bring the total length up to around 26 feet.
                  While 28' would be better, it's just too long to tow.
                  Which Bolger plans are you looking at?

                • adharvey2
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...> wrote:

                    > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
                    > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
                    > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
                    > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                    > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
                    > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
                    > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                    > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                    > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                    > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
                    > from wonderful to risky.
                    > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
                    > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
                    > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
                    > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
                    > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
                    > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
                    > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
                    > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
                    > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
                    > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
                    > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
                    > make engine/other recommendations?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance!
                    >
                    > Charley

                    Hello Charley.
                    Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15
                    mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
                    boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
                    circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
                    Montana winters on a trailer.
                    I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it might
                    be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd love
                    to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                    sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of course
                    an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                    bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little Effort?
                    Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The extra
                    4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with fishing
                    gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so much
                    lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm kinda
                    stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and 20+
                    feet is the way to go.
                    Andrew
                  • Kenneth Grome
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                      On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                      > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                      closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                      seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                      is firmed up.

                      Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                      so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                      crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                      Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                      easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

                      Sincerely,
                      Kenneth Grome
                      Bagacay Boatworks
                      www.bagacayboatworks.com
                    • chunsdorfer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        love
                        > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                        > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
                        course
                        > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                        > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
                        Effort?
                        > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
                        extra
                        > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
                        fishing
                        > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
                        much
                        > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
                        kinda
                        > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and

                        The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
                        just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
                        well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
                        unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
                        fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
                        Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
                        and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
                        nice to think about!
                      • echo172@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                          Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
                          Bruce
                          From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                          > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                          > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                          > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                          > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                          > is firmed up.
                          >

                          > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                          > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                          > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                          > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                          > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                          >
                          > Sincerely,
                          > Kenneth Grome
                          > Bagacay Boatworks
                          > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                        • chunsdorfer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

                            > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
                            Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
                            fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
                            boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
                            I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
                            a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
                            rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
                            sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
                            designs, that's why I lurk.
                            > Bruce
                            > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                            > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                            > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
                            quest and no
                            > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
                            handle the
                            > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
                            now nothing
                            > > is firmed up.
                            > >

                            > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
                            weather commuter,
                            > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
                            bridge the wave
                            > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
                            length. Bruce
                            > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
                            make trailering
                            > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                            > >
                            > > Sincerely,
                            > > Kenneth Grome
                            > > Bagacay Boatworks
                            > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                            I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
                            I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
                            sort of structure above the gunwales.