RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Battered by Battens

  • Rogers, Shawn
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011

      Pine quarter round trim works well too.  If the turns are particularly tight, you can notch the back side.

      Shawn

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
        Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm going to try to cut a 1/4" batten today and see how that works. If that cracks, too, I'll start trying the alternatives.

        It's a really tight bend.

        -- John
      • DirtSailor
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
          Take a look at the pvc lumber they have at the big box lumber stores. Some of the trim profiles are very flexible, yet give you a fair curve, you can also mill your own from some of the larger stock.

          Dirtsailor

          Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm going to try to cut a 1/4" batten today and see how that works. If that cracks, too, I'll start trying the alternatives.

          It's a really tight bend.

          -- John

          in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
          to find your fit.
        • John Frodigh
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
            At the Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation classes we have used 1/4 inch luan with no issues, make sure it is a little damp for flexibility, but not so much it de laminates

            Take a look at the pvc lumber they have at the big box lumber stores. Some of the trim profiles are very flexible, yet give you a fair curve, you can also mill your own from some of the larger stock.

            Dirtsailor

            Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm going to try to cut a 1/4" batten today and see how that works. If that cracks, too, I'll start trying the alternatives.

            It's a really tight bend.

            -- John

            in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
            to find your fit.

            This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission. © 2011 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential