Re: UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Battered by Battens

  • davy riggs
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hey, John

      You can get around the breaking batten problem by making up a couple of "multi-ply" battens.

      Cut several hardwood strips about 1/8" thick by 3/4" on your table saw, six feet or so long; then scrape or sand off the roughest part, taking care to keep them straight and level.   Tape two of them together at one end with a few turns of masking tape, then add another strip or two to make it the appropriate thickness.

      Keep in mind that the fairest curves will be obtained by the stiffest batten, just as with the ones of a single-course .

      Again, best of luck!
      Dave

      Man proposes- God disposes. -U.S. Grant
    • Rogers, Shawn
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011

        Pine quarter round trim works well too.  If the turns are particularly tight, you can notch the back side.

        Shawn

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
          Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm going to try to cut a 1/4" batten today and see how that works. If that cracks, too, I'll start trying the alternatives.

          It's a really tight bend.

          -- John
        • DirtSailor
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
            Take a look at the pvc lumber they have at the big box lumber stores. Some of the trim profiles are very flexible, yet give you a fair curve, you can also mill your own from some of the larger stock.

            Dirtsailor

            Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm going to try to cut a 1/4" batten today and see how that works. If that cracks, too, I'll start trying the alternatives.

            It's a really tight bend.

            -- John

            in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
            to find your fit.
          • John Frodigh
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
              At the Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation classes we have used 1/4 inch luan with no issues, make sure it is a little damp for flexibility, but not so much it de laminates

              Take a look at the pvc lumber they have at the big box lumber stores. Some of the trim profiles are very flexible, yet give you a fair curve, you can also mill your own from some of the larger stock.

              Dirtsailor

              Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm going to try to cut a 1/4" batten today and see how that works. If that cracks, too, I'll start trying the alternatives.

              It's a really tight bend.

              -- John

              in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
              to find your fit.

              This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission. © 2011 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential