Re: [AtkinBoats] The Adhesive Quest

  • Don Douglas
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
      I have had good luck finding Resorcinol at Ace Hardware of all places.  The stores here in Colorado Springs seem to always have a set of pints or two.

      Don Douglas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011

        Jamestown carries DAP in quarts

        http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2060&familyName=Weldwood+Resorcinol+Glue

        John Frodigh

        I am about to glue up a new foremast for my boat, so went out looking for resorcinol glue, which is the recommended adhesive for bird's mouth mast building. Alas, all of my usual sources dried-up, including Jamestown Distributors. I recently made contact after many years with a friend and former co-worker (on Facebook) who works for a company in New York, CP Adhesives. Turns out they currently have stock in resorcinol glue from Hexion (in gallons, lowest working temperature 70 degrees) but will be getting new stock by Aerodux (lowest working temperature 50 degrees) around March 1st. I have heard much good about Aerodux in boatbuilding circles.

        Just thought others of you may be looking for resorcinol glue, so am passing this along.

        www.cpadhesives.com

        Best,
        Bill Parker

        This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission. © 2010 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential
      • John Frodigh

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011

            Try Spruce and specialty…..

            Aircraft Spruce Heading

             Wood Products - Glues/Adhesives   CASCOPHEN

            A Resorcinol Formaldehyde Adhesive capable of curing at room temperature and providing strong, durable, waterproof bonds. Comes in two parts, a liquid resin (part A) and a powered catalyst (part B). the liquid resin is an alcohol-water solution of a partially condensed resorcinol-formaldehyde resin containing a suitable reinforcing cellulosic filler. The hardener is a tan powder formulated from paraformaldehyde and a suitable cellulosic filler.

            Produces a cured glue line which is resistant to fresh water or salt water, most acids and organic solvents, and lubricating oils and greases. Being thermoset, the bond is resistant to elevated temps. and conversely, no loss in bond strength occurs at temperatures as low as 40°F. These features make it advantageous for use as a general marine and aircraft use. It provides strong bonds between many wood and non-wood surfaces. These include treated woods, many plastics, natural and synthetic rubber, primed metal, leather, textiles, paper and fiber boards.

            CASCOPHEN RESOURCINAL ADH PT

            02-00036

            $23.50

            CASCOPHEN RESOURCINAL ADH QT

            02-00037

            $30.25

            CASCOPHEN RESOURCINAL ADH GAL

            02-00038

            $119.50

            This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission. © 2011 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential
          • Jon n Wanda
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2011
              Personaly I would use a epoxy glue of the glue not laminating type. it will have time restraints but will not keep getting harder over the years. Like kitchen chairs weldwood type glues fail with tine when strained.

              Jon