UnlikelyBoatBuilder: Harrowing Hell Gate

  • John Almberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2011
      An hour after dropping anchor in Sandy Hook, I'd tided up on deck, called Helena to let her know I'd arrived safely, and treated myself to a celebratory drink. But there was no time to relax. A quick check of the weather forecast showed that my weather window was closing fast. Tomorrow, Wednesday, looked good. But on Thursday, Boreas and his northerly gales were due back in town. And it looked like they planned to stay for the rest of the week, at least.

      Even more importantly, Thursday was Thanksgiving Day, and for months Helena had been telling me that I wouldn't be home until Thanksgiving. I was determined to prove her wrong for once!

      But standing between me and my triumphal arrival home was one of the most infamous hazards to navigation in the western world: the East River's Hell Gate...

      Read complete blog post:

      http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2011/01/harrowing-hell-gate.html

      Fair Winds: John