UnlikelyBoatBuilder: The Ticking Clock

  • John Almberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2011
      Having decided to wait for the 'right' weather, I moved the Blue Moon to a marina right on the Manasquan River. It wasn't as peaceful as the Glimmer Glass basin -- or as cheap -- but for waiting in cold weather, it sure helps to be able to step ashore for food or a hot shower.

      I hoped it wouldn't be a long wait. Every night, before hitting the rack, I'd study the weather forecast for the next day, looking for a wind with some South, and preferably some West in it. Every day, I'd walk out to the inlet to check the seas and watch the one or two sailboats that dared to make the journey south, from New York to Manasquan. I didn't see any sailboats heading north.

      Of course, there were always big power boats that went out, but I didn't count them.

      Every day, the temptation was strong to just go for it! Just to get it over with, one way or the other...

      Read complete blog post:

      Fair Winds: John