Australian- new member here: Handy Andy help please

  • davy riggs
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2010
      Hi!

      Handy Andy is about as simple as a traditional boatbuilding job can get, and a very useful one as a learning tool, which is, I think, the best way for you to look at it.   Because it is canvas covered, glued and painted, the planking does not have to be watertight on its own.  So you could conceivably use thin plywood, but milling cheap solid lumber into thin strakes makes for a lighter, cheaper and more traditional boat.

      Firstly, it is a simple boat but building it still requires traditional boatbuilding methods, such as lofting, mould making and spiling planks.  You can definitely do it with the proper instruction, or you can teach yourself with Howard Chapelle's Boatbuilding book or one of several others.

      Another good alternative might be Iain Oughtred's Acorn Tender, which is glued-lapstrake and can be built, after a fashion, without lofting.

      Keep us informed!

      Dave

      Man proposes- God disposes. -U.S. Grant
    • JohnA
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2010
        > Hello to everyone, I'm new to the world of boats and sailing but am considering a boat building project. I keep returning to the wonderful Atkin plans and in particular the 'Handy Andy'. The boat's size 8x4 and its traditional look seem just about right to me. Generally it is to be used by myself as row and sail but with the ability to carry another adult. The only thing is the mystery aspect of the canvas covering. I have read a little about the Penn Yan co and the Handy Andy was apparently a prototype of sorts for them (well, according to the Atkin site). Could someone offer some advice for the first time builder. I was going to send off for the plans but am curious if it can be readily adapted for ply. Don't get me wrong, I am most happy to build in the designed method if this is feasible but just wanted to chat with someone who has done it. Thanks everyone and G'day from downunder

        I've never done it, but there's a good explanation of the approach in Chapelle's "Boatbuilding". A short excerpt tells most of the story:

        "The structure of these is basically a carvel-planked hull covered with canvas. The planking is very thin and is supported by wid, thin, closely spaced frames. No attempt is made to get watertight seams in the planking."

        In other words, thin planking supports the canvas and the paint makes the boat water tight.

        The canvas also stiffens the boat and makes it stronger than it would be, with just the light planks.

        It's a cheap and cheerful method of boat building. No doubt some would say the canvas and paint should be replaced by fiberglass & epoxy. I'm not sure the planking would be stable enough for that.

        Hope that helps.

        -- John
      • JohnA
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2010
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

          > > Hello to everyone, I'm new to the world of boats and sailing but am considering a boat building project. I keep returning to the wonderful Atkin plans and in particular the 'Handy Andy'. The boat's size 8x4 and its traditional look seem just about right to me. Generally it is to be used by myself as row and sail but with the ability to carry another adult. The only thing is the mystery aspect of the canvas covering. I have read a little about the Penn Yan co and the Handy Andy was apparently a prototype of sorts for them (well, according to the Atkin site). Could someone offer some advice for the first time builder. I was going to send off for the plans but am curious if it can be readily adapted for ply. Don't get me wrong, I am most happy to build in the designed method if this is feasible but just wanted to chat with someone who has done it. Thanks everyone and G'day from downunder
          >
          > I've never done it, but there's a good explanation of the approach in Chapelle's "Boatbuilding". A short excerpt tells most of the story:
          >
          > "The structure of these is basically a carvel-planked hull covered with canvas. The planking is very thin and is supported by wid, thin, closely spaced frames. No attempt is made to get watertight seams in the planking."
          >
          > In other words, thin planking supports the canvas and the paint makes the boat water tight.
          >
          > The canvas also stiffens the boat and makes it stronger than it would be, with just the light planks.
          >
          > It's a cheap and cheerful method of boat building. No doubt some would say the canvas and paint should be replaced by fiberglass & epoxy. I'm not sure the planking would be stable enough for that.
          >
          > Hope that helps.
          >
          > -- John

          Whoops... suddenly realized the original question was 2 months ago. Wonder why it suddenly appeared in my email? Oh well...
        • David Calloway
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2010
            Just appeared in mine too.

            dc

            On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM, JohnA <jalmberg@...> wrote:

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

            > > Hello to everyone, I'm new to the world of boats and sailing but am considering a boat building project. I keep returning to the wonderful Atkin plans and in particular the 'Handy Andy'. The boat's size 8x4 and its traditional look seem just about right to me. Generally it is to be used by myself as row and sail but with the ability to carry another adult. The only thing is the mystery aspect of the canvas covering. I have read a little about the Penn Yan co and the Handy Andy was apparently a prototype of sorts for them (well, according to the Atkin site). Could someone offer some advice for the first time builder. I was going to send off for the plans but am curious if it can be readily adapted for ply. Don't get me wrong, I am most happy to build in the designed method if this is feasible but just wanted to chat with someone who has done it. Thanks everyone and G'day from downunder
            >
            > I've never done it, but there's a good explanation of the approach in Chapelle's "Boatbuilding". A short excerpt tells most of the story:
            >
            > "The structure of these is basically a carvel-planked hull covered with canvas. The planking is very thin and is supported by wid, thin, closely spaced frames. No attempt is made to get watertight seams in the planking."
            >
            > In other words, thin planking supports the canvas and the paint makes the boat water tight.
            >
            > The canvas also stiffens the boat and makes it stronger than it would be, with just the light planks.
            >
            > It's a cheap and cheerful method of boat building. No doubt some would say the canvas and paint should be replaced by fiberglass & epoxy. I'm not sure the planking would be stable enough for that.
            >
            > Hope that helps.
            >
            > -- John

            Whoops... suddenly realized the original question was 2 months ago. Wonder why it suddenly appeared in my email? Oh well...

          • baileyje68
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 24, 2010
              It would appear the Handy Andy would be a good candidate for strip build. Anyone have any ideas about that?

              John