Re: Australian- new member here: Handy Andy help please

  • Peter Evans
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2010
      I think it would be hard to build in ply, because it is a round bilge craft.

      John Gardener has a couple of hard chine small punts that could be built in ply very easily.

      Where are you in Australia? I am in Sunshine, Melbourne.
      peterevans_33 at yahoo dot com dot au
    • stu
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2010
        Hello, Australia!

        Welcome to the Atkin group.

        I've just done a canvas project, and have another in the coming future (a companionway hatch, and the house top on my Atkin Gary Thomas gaff cutter.  It is a manageable technology with predictable outcomes, I think, but has some disadvantages (weight and expected longevity, in that order).  The last is, of course, largely manageable through care in use and storage.  The canoe building community should afford a trove of advice in this domain, if you don't get good advice elsewhere.

        I would like to call your attention to some other possibilities worth considering.  The ultralight approach to canoes, dinghies, and small sailboats results in very light boats of great beauty and traditional lines and looks.  I've built a canoe (Tom Hill design) this way, and the result was great.  I'm planning a tender for my cutter (Ripple), an Auklet, designed by Iain Oughtred.  At 7 feet, she should even fit on the foredeck, and with a projected weight of 40-50 lbs, will be manageable by one person.  Some images of some of his boats can be found at:

        http://www.google.com/images?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=iain+oughtred&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=2hYNTdz6N5C-sQPXnOC4Ag&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CDQQsAQwAQ&biw=1205&bih=599

        His kit site is http://www.jordanboats.co.uk/JB/iain_oughtred.htm

        Ian has a series of designs, and others are available of course.  The basic idiom is the use of occume plywood ( a high quality african mahogany-like marine plywood available in as thin as 3 or 4 mm) in a lapstrake configuration, with overlappiung planks fastened with epoxy.  These seams give the hull considerable strength and rigidity, obviating the need for ribs.  Lots of opportunity for personalized touches of elegance in breasthooks, knees, gunwhales and the like.

        good luck!

        stu
        http://svripple.blogspot.com/

        On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM, monumentau <monumentau@...> wrote:

        Hello to everyone, I'm new to the world of boats and sailing but am considering a boat building project. I keep returning to the wonderful Atkin plans and in particular the 'Handy Andy'. The boat's size 8x4 and its traditional look seem just about right to me. Generally it is to be used by myself as row and sail but with the ability to carry another adult. The only thing is the mystery aspect of the canvas covering. I have read a little about the Penn Yan co and the Handy Andy was apparently a prototype of sorts for them (well, according to the Atkin site). Could someone offer some advice for the first time builder. I was going to send off for the plans but am curious if it can be readily adapted for ply. Don't get me wrong, I am most happy to build in the designed method if this is feasible but just wanted to chat with someone who has done it. Thanks everyone and G'day from downunder

      • davy riggs
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2010
          Hi!

          Handy Andy is about as simple as a traditional boatbuilding job can get, and a very useful one as a learning tool, which is, I think, the best way for you to look at it.   Because it is canvas covered, glued and painted, the planking does not have to be watertight on its own.  So you could conceivably use thin plywood, but milling cheap solid lumber into thin strakes makes for a lighter, cheaper and more traditional boat.

          Firstly, it is a simple boat but building it still requires traditional boatbuilding methods, such as lofting, mould making and spiling planks.  You can definitely do it with the proper instruction, or you can teach yourself with Howard Chapelle's Boatbuilding book or one of several others.

          Another good alternative might be Iain Oughtred's Acorn Tender, which is glued-lapstrake and can be built, after a fashion, without lofting.

          Keep us informed!

          Dave

          Man proposes- God disposes. -U.S. Grant
        • JohnA
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2010
            > Hello to everyone, I'm new to the world of boats and sailing but am considering a boat building project. I keep returning to the wonderful Atkin plans and in particular the 'Handy Andy'. The boat's size 8x4 and its traditional look seem just about right to me. Generally it is to be used by myself as row and sail but with the ability to carry another adult. The only thing is the mystery aspect of the canvas covering. I have read a little about the Penn Yan co and the Handy Andy was apparently a prototype of sorts for them (well, according to the Atkin site). Could someone offer some advice for the first time builder. I was going to send off for the plans but am curious if it can be readily adapted for ply. Don't get me wrong, I am most happy to build in the designed method if this is feasible but just wanted to chat with someone who has done it. Thanks everyone and G'day from downunder

            I've never done it, but there's a good explanation of the approach in Chapelle's "Boatbuilding". A short excerpt tells most of the story:

            "The structure of these is basically a carvel-planked hull covered with canvas. The planking is very thin and is supported by wid, thin, closely spaced frames. No attempt is made to get watertight seams in the planking."

            In other words, thin planking supports the canvas and the paint makes the boat water tight.

            The canvas also stiffens the boat and makes it stronger than it would be, with just the light planks.

            It's a cheap and cheerful method of boat building. No doubt some would say the canvas and paint should be replaced by fiberglass & epoxy. I'm not sure the planking would be stable enough for that.

            Hope that helps.

            -- John
          • JohnA
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 20, 2010
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

              > > Hello to everyone, I'm new to the world of boats and sailing but am considering a boat building project. I keep returning to the wonderful Atkin plans and in particular the 'Handy Andy'. The boat's size 8x4 and its traditional look seem just about right to me. Generally it is to be used by myself as row and sail but with the ability to carry another adult. The only thing is the mystery aspect of the canvas covering. I have read a little about the Penn Yan co and the Handy Andy was apparently a prototype of sorts for them (well, according to the Atkin site). Could someone offer some advice for the first time builder. I was going to send off for the plans but am curious if it can be readily adapted for ply. Don't get me wrong, I am most happy to build in the designed method if this is feasible but just wanted to chat with someone who has done it. Thanks everyone and G'day from downunder
              >
              > I've never done it, but there's a good explanation of the approach in Chapelle's "Boatbuilding". A short excerpt tells most of the story:
              >
              > "The structure of these is basically a carvel-planked hull covered with canvas. The planking is very thin and is supported by wid, thin, closely spaced frames. No attempt is made to get watertight seams in the planking."
              >
              > In other words, thin planking supports the canvas and the paint makes the boat water tight.
              >
              > The canvas also stiffens the boat and makes it stronger than it would be, with just the light planks.
              >
              > It's a cheap and cheerful method of boat building. No doubt some would say the canvas and paint should be replaced by fiberglass & epoxy. I'm not sure the planking would be stable enough for that.
              >
              > Hope that helps.
              >
              > -- John

              Whoops... suddenly realized the original question was 2 months ago. Wonder why it suddenly appeared in my email? Oh well...
            • David Calloway
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 20, 2010
                Just appeared in mine too.

                dc

                On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM, JohnA <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                > > Hello to everyone, I'm new to the world of boats and sailing but am considering a boat building project. I keep returning to the wonderful Atkin plans and in particular the 'Handy Andy'. The boat's size 8x4 and its traditional look seem just about right to me. Generally it is to be used by myself as row and sail but with the ability to carry another adult. The only thing is the mystery aspect of the canvas covering. I have read a little about the Penn Yan co and the Handy Andy was apparently a prototype of sorts for them (well, according to the Atkin site). Could someone offer some advice for the first time builder. I was going to send off for the plans but am curious if it can be readily adapted for ply. Don't get me wrong, I am most happy to build in the designed method if this is feasible but just wanted to chat with someone who has done it. Thanks everyone and G'day from downunder
                >
                > I've never done it, but there's a good explanation of the approach in Chapelle's "Boatbuilding". A short excerpt tells most of the story:
                >
                > "The structure of these is basically a carvel-planked hull covered with canvas. The planking is very thin and is supported by wid, thin, closely spaced frames. No attempt is made to get watertight seams in the planking."
                >
                > In other words, thin planking supports the canvas and the paint makes the boat water tight.
                >
                > The canvas also stiffens the boat and makes it stronger than it would be, with just the light planks.
                >
                > It's a cheap and cheerful method of boat building. No doubt some would say the canvas and paint should be replaced by fiberglass & epoxy. I'm not sure the planking would be stable enough for that.
                >
                > Hope that helps.
                >
                > -- John

                Whoops... suddenly realized the original question was 2 months ago. Wonder why it suddenly appeared in my email? Oh well...

              • baileyje68
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 24, 2010
                  It would appear the Handy Andy would be a good candidate for strip build. Anyone have any ideas about that?

                  John