house canvassing

  • stu
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2010
      Hi, folks,

      I'm at the end of my first year of serfdom with my Atkin's Gary Thomas cutter, and thoroughly enamored. As the autumn deepens, so too my immersion in maintenance, and I discovered that the integrity of my companionway hatch has been compromised, and I'm about to rebuild her it.

      The hatch and house cabin are both canvas and felt, and I'm going to renew them in the traditional way.  My difficulty is determining which 'traditional way' brings me to call upon the collective wisdom here.

      There are at least three schools of thought:
      1. canvas over irish felt over sealer
      2. canvas over white lead
      3. a combination of these approaches

      I'd be grateful for experience, recipes, products, theories, pitfalls, cautions, and orders of battle that anyone might care to share, either privately or on the list.

      Many thanks

      stu

      Master and slave to s/v Ripple
      http://svripple.blogspot.com

      PS: I have some pictures from the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival that I'll share soon.  There are a few pictures, and some description of my experience of the festival at Ripple's online sailing blog (the URL above).