Cover company suggestions for an 11' Tina cat-boat?

  • trinadenton
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2010
      Hi-- I'd like to get my husband a cover for his catboat (he's had a make-shift tarp for years now...) but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the online searches I'm doing for boat covers.

      He built the 11' Tina (Atkins plans) and it's a beautiful little flatbottom sailboat but in desperate need of a cover/sail cover.

      Any suggestions as to who sells covers for these? Do I need to get both a cover and a sail cover? I'm quickly becoming well-versed in the language of covers out there but really don't know a place to start. Also, I'm happy to think outside the box and get one for a flat bottom fishing boat if needed, but I'm at a loss for suggestions of "good" companies out there.

      Thanks for any help on this one,
    • Stuart Weibel

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 9, 2010
          Trina, Stuart is not quoting Dickens, I think he was trying to suggest this company:

          The Artful Dodger
          105 Hudson St
          Port Townsend, Washington 98368
          United States
          Phone: 360 385-2670

          No web site, you'll have to call.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Weibel <stuart.weibel@...> wrote:

          > Artful dodger
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
        • stu
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 9, 2010
            Apologies for being so cryptic... Yes, Matthew is correct.  I was in the car at the time, but didn't want to lose this thread.

            My boat, an Atkins Dary Thomas Tops'l cutter, was built in Port Townsend in 1993, and fitted out with Port Townsend Foundary bronze, Carol Hasse sails and an Artful Dodger sail cover and full boat cover.

            The boat cover is the most complicated piece of fabric construction I've ever encountered, owing to all the traditional rigging of the boat.  Three pieces, vents, chafing gear... goodness.  I'll post a picture.

            Your boat will be substantially simpler I'm sure.

            And yes, you want a boat cover and a sail cover.

            You may experience some sticker shock, but there aren't many things you can do that will enhance the longevity and preserve the beauty of such a boat than to provide this sort of protection.

            I have no idea whether they need proximity to your boat to do a proper job... may be a show stopper.

            best of luck in your search.

            stu

            On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Matthew L <owlnmole@...> wrote:

            Trina, Stuart is not quoting Dickens, I think he was trying to suggest this company:

            The Artful Dodger
            105 Hudson St
            Port Townsend, Washington 98368
            United States
            Phone: 360 385-2670

            No web site, you'll have to call.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Weibel <stuart.weibel@...> wrote:

            > Artful dodger
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone

          • Trina Denton
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 9, 2010
              Thank you Matthew, as I was a tad confused by Stu's first reply. :)

              Trina, Stuart is not quoting Dickens, I think he was trying to suggest this company:

              The Artful Dodger
              105 Hudson St
              Port Townsend, Washington 98368
              United States
              Phone: 360 385-2670

              No web site, you'll have to call.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Weibel <stuart.weibel@...> wrote:

              > Artful dodger
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone

            • Trina Denton
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 9, 2010
                Stu-- I appreciate your prompt help! I trust you reached your destination safely despite texting while driving.  :)   And of course, the advice that I want both a sail and a boat cover is key as I move along in my search, so merci again.

                Trina

                Apologies for being so cryptic... Yes, Matthew is correct.  I was in the car at the time, but didn't want to lose this thread.

                My boat, an Atkins Dary Thomas Tops'l cutter, was built in Port Townsend in 1993, and fitted out with Port Townsend Foundary bronze, Carol Hasse sails and an Artful Dodger sail cover and full boat cover.

                The boat cover is the most complicated piece of fabric construction I've ever encountered, owing to all the traditional rigging of the boat.  Three pieces, vents, chafing gear... goodness.  I'll post a picture.

                Your boat will be substantially simpler I'm sure.

                And yes, you want a boat cover and a sail cover.

                You may experience some sticker shock, but there aren't many things you can do that will enhance the longevity and preserve the beauty of such a boat than to provide this sort of protection.

                I have no idea whether they need proximity to your boat to do a proper job... may be a show stopper.

                best of luck in your search.

                stu

                On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Matthew L <owlnmole@...> wrote:

                Trina, Stuart is not quoting Dickens, I think he was trying to suggest this company:

                The Artful Dodger
                105 Hudson St
                Port Townsend, Washington 98368
                United States
                Phone: 360 385-2670

                No web site, you'll have to call.

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Weibel <stuart.weibel@...> wrote:

                > Artful dodger
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone

              • stu
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2010
                  Living in a NoText state, I will say that I pulled over long enough to send my message... Let us know what you find!

                  stu