Re: [AtkinBoats] Small Sailboat Design Help Request

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2010
      Sunshine is already drawn for plywood planked construction, so she'd be
      the best for an easy build. I also like a gaff mainsail on a catboat, both
      for looks and better sailing when reefed, since the center of effort
      doesn't move forward as much as that of a reefed jib-headed sail.

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Sunshine.html

      The curved sides of Cat Bird couldn't be planked with sheet plywood. I'd
      probably use glued lapstrake plywood if I was gonna build her.

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Catbird.html

      James Samuel, Jr. is a big, roomy boat, a good choice if you want to take
      a bunch of friends sailing with you, but I'll bet Sunshine would
      outperform her (him?).

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/JamesSamuelJr.html

      Any of 'em would be nice boats, but I'd sure like to see a Sunshine built.

      On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 04:31:39 -0700, Wayne wrote:

      > My first post here. I'm looking at various small catboat designs for a
      > winter project. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any of
      > Atkin's small sailboats, specifically; Catbird, James Samuel Jr., Krazy
      > Kat/Sunshine.

      John (jkohnen@...)
      A fool and his money are soon elected. (Will Rogers)
    • r_mouradian
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2010
        I'm wondering if anyone can comment on what it means when one of the Atkins designs is noted as being drawn for plywood construction.

        I have notcied that many of the Atkins skiff-like designs appear to have flat, or non curved, sides when viewing the frames. But, only a few are recommended for plywood. For example, Sunshine and Krazy Kat look to be almost identical, but I am guessing that the actual 3-dimensional shapes are slightly different and that Krazy Kat would be harder to build in plywood?

        Regards

        Rob