Small Sailboat Design Help Request

  • wdbeyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2010
      My first post here. I'm looking at various small catboat designs for a winter project. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any of Atkin's small sailboats, specifically; Catbird, James Samuel Jr., Krazy Kat/Sunshine.

      My requirements are trailerable (easy to rig at the ramp), 2-3 adults, protected water sailing, 14'-16', somewhat easier build. (I'm currently building a cold-molded center console powerboat.)

      I also like the Catnip design, but it looks a little more involved from a planking standpoint.

      Any input is greatly appreciated.

      Wayne
    • Brandon F
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21, 2010
        Hi Wayne,

        You can't go wrong with Valgerda. She is a wonderful boat: very stable, simple rig, rows like a dream and very sea worthy. Even though she is a little larger than you said, because she is a double ender I would put her in the same category as a 16 or 17 footer. I have found that she is very easy to launch, recover and tow. I thought she would be more to handle than my 13.5-foot Chamberlain Dory, but she is not. And she is a lot more boat when it comes to capacity and ability and room.

        Brandon
        http://valgerda.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2010
          Sunshine is already drawn for plywood planked construction, so she'd be
          the best for an easy build. I also like a gaff mainsail on a catboat, both
          for looks and better sailing when reefed, since the center of effort
          doesn't move forward as much as that of a reefed jib-headed sail.

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Sunshine.html

          The curved sides of Cat Bird couldn't be planked with sheet plywood. I'd
          probably use glued lapstrake plywood if I was gonna build her.

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Catbird.html

          James Samuel, Jr. is a big, roomy boat, a good choice if you want to take
          a bunch of friends sailing with you, but I'll bet Sunshine would
          outperform her (him?).

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/JamesSamuelJr.html

          Any of 'em would be nice boats, but I'd sure like to see a Sunshine built.

          On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 04:31:39 -0700, Wayne wrote:

          > My first post here. I'm looking at various small catboat designs for a
          > winter project. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any of
          > Atkin's small sailboats, specifically; Catbird, James Samuel Jr., Krazy
          > Kat/Sunshine.

          John (jkohnen@...)
          A fool and his money are soon elected. (Will Rogers)
        • r_mouradian
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 29, 2010
            I'm wondering if anyone can comment on what it means when one of the Atkins designs is noted as being drawn for plywood construction.

            I have notcied that many of the Atkins skiff-like designs appear to have flat, or non curved, sides when viewing the frames. But, only a few are recommended for plywood. For example, Sunshine and Krazy Kat look to be almost identical, but I am guessing that the actual 3-dimensional shapes are slightly different and that Krazy Kat would be harder to build in plywood?

            Regards

            Rob