A retirement goal

  • pringni_konta@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2010
      Greetings. I am new to the group, having drooled over the Island Princess for more years than a care to admit. A few questions for the group: can this boat feasibly be built by an amateur (I've built several houses, but never a boat), and if so, is a five year plan reasonable? It is not one that is astericked for plywood construction, but the hard chine makes it look like it could be. Is it? And finally, how much space do I need. I am looking at a 40x24 building, 12 ' high. I guess a related question; anyone have one for sale? Thanks.
    • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2010
        Hi All,
        The amateur builder of my Florence Oakland took 5 years to build her, before and after retirement. One significant difference might be that he did traditional rigging, and made all the blocks and deadeyes himself, including rope strops and other marlinspike work. If you buy fittings, you could probably get it done in the five years even on a bigger boat. The real time consumption is in interior joinerwork.

        Best,
        Bill
        ---- pringni_konta@... wrote:
        > Greetings. I am new to the group, having drooled over the Island Princess for more years than a care to admit. A few questions for the group: can this boat feasibly be built by an amateur (I've built several houses, but never a boat), and if so, is a five year plan reasonable? It is not one that is astericked for plywood construction, but the hard chine makes it look like it could be. Is it? And finally, how much space do I need. I am looking at a 40x24 building, 12 ' high. I guess a related question; anyone have one for sale? Thanks.
      • John Almberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2010
          pringni_konta@... wrote:

          Greetings. I am new to the group, having drooled over the Island Princess for more years than a care to admit. A few questions for the group: can this boat feasibly be built by an amateur (I've built several houses, but never a boat), and if so, is a five year plan reasonable? It is not one that is astericked for plywood construction, but the hard chine makes it look like it could be. Is it? And finally, how much space do I need. I am looking at a 40x24 building, 12 ' high. I guess a related question; anyone have one for sale? Thanks.

          __.
          I've only built one small boat (Atkin "Cabin Boy"), so take my comments for what they are worth (not a heck of a lot!)

          I think the only way you could build such a large boat single handed is if you really loved boat building. Nothing else could keep your nose to the grindstone for so long. And if you really loved boat building, then it wouldn't matter how long it took. Particularly if you loved boat building more than sailing (which some people do, strangely enough.)

          That said, I'd recommend you build a tender for her, first (an Atkin, of course), to find out if you like boat building that much.

          Maybe even better, build a small V-bottom boat, so you can learn on a similar craft. The Atkin "Teach" model might be a good one to start on. That way, you'd make all your mistakes on a small boat, learn a heck of a lot that will come in handy when you build the bigger boat, AND you'll have something to sail while you're building.

          Furthermore, I doubt you would lose any time building Teach first. What you learn building Teach will save you masses of time when building Island Princess, because you will know what you are doing.

          Assuming you have plenty of time (and money) to build (otherwise, building a boat like IP is an impossibility), you should be able to build Teach this winter, and have her to sail next summer. Then you'll be able to tell us how long it will take you to build IP.

          -- John

        • roofairbairn@btopenworld.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
            Hi
            this is my first post.
            My Florence Oakland, Marie Sophie, waas built in Bar creek Boatyard, Malpas Truro Cornwall UK, by Paul Gartside when he was at Truro School, at the same time as me.
            She was built between 1968 and 1971, of white seraya, carvel, on seam battens, with an english oak keel. Frames and transom are Keruing.The decks have delaminated and require replacing, all spars are intact and are Douglas fir.
            Apparrently she sails very well, despite the departure from the official construction.
            I intend to extend the cabin to aft of the main mast, reducing the size of the cockpit, and make it self draining.
            She is set up for a port wing engine ,and I shall fit a contemporary Petter AV2WM with 2:1 reduction, and corresponding ballast on the starboard side.
            The extra ballast, along with hollowed spars, should allow the use of topsails.
            If anybody knows of a Florence Oakland with tops, could they let me know (with photos} please
            If anyone would like photos- let me know
            All the best
            Robert
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, <wmeparker@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            > The amateur builder of my Florence Oakland took 5 years to build her, before and after retirement. One significant difference might be that he did traditional rigging, and made all the blocks and deadeyes himself, including rope strops and other marlinspike work. If you buy fittings, you could probably get it done in the five years even on a bigger boat. The real time consumption is in interior joinerwork.
            >
            > Best,
            > Bill
            > ---- pringni_konta@... wrote:
            > > Greetings. I am new to the group, having drooled over the Island Princess for more years than a care to admit. A few questions for the group: can this boat feasibly be built by an amateur (I've built several houses, but never a boat), and if so, is a five year plan reasonable? It is not one that is astericked for plywood construction, but the hard chine makes it look like it could be. Is it? And finally, how much space do I need. I am looking at a 40x24 building, 12 ' high. I guess a related question; anyone have one for sale? Thanks.

          • William E. Parker
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011

              Welcome, Robert, to the list.  I have a Florence Oakland built about 25 years ago.  I have replaced a solid mainmast as of two years ago, and am replacing the foremast this winter, both using hollow construction with bird’s mouth joints.  Taking the weight out of the rig definitely helps.  I have been actively considering using a topsail on the main in very light air, as the rigging and tophamper forward definitely cause lee helm in light air.  For that reason, my thought is that a topsail on the foremast would be counter-productive in that situation.  I would not consider using a topsail in anything other than light air.  My boat, Charlene, has not had the inside ballast of 300 Lbs. to this point, but I am putting it in.  With that and the hollow masts I am hoping she will stiffen-up some.  I would not recommend hanging any more outside ballast on the existing scantlings.  The original builder did that on my boat when repairing the keel, and it caused no end of problems structurally.  You can really only get so much balance from 3’ draft.  She already has 300 sq. ft. of sail on a 20 ft. waterline.

              I also considered extending the cabin, but decided to put in two lockers up by the cabin bulkhead, but still in the cockpit, that house a large cooler on one side and food storage and a single burner stove on the other.  I connected the seats to the lockers.  The stove was only ever meant to be used in port, with a cockpit tent.  I agree that the cockpit is large and poses a bit of a threat if a large sea were taken aboard.  If I were constructing her new, I would make the seats completely as storage and make the well only the size of the cockpit between the seats.  I have increased the drains to 1”, which definitely helps.

              She sounds like she was well-built with excellent materials.  I hope she gives you as much joy as has mine. Please do post some pictures.

              Best,

              Bill Parker