Katydidn't (Petey Dink CM)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2010
    Martin Musson up in Port Hadlock just built this beautiful lapstrake
    version of Katydidn't to use as a tender to his Eric, Jr., Tyke. Good Job,
    Martin! I call Imp a "Katydidn't" because she uses the construction of the
    original boat -- except for Martin's planking choice, not the cold-molded
    construction of Petey Dink CM:

    http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/Katydidnt/

    There's been some confusion about Katydidn't/Petey Dink CM due to the
    chapter on PD CM in Practical Small Boat Designs, and the edited excerpt I
    put in the online catalog. In PTSBD, John Atkin wrote, "My father designed
    Petey Dink and named her Katydidn't. The design is included in his book
    Motor Boats..." What John was trying to say is that Wm. designed a boat
    named "Katydidn't" and put her in Motor Boats, and many years later when
    John dusted off the plans for cold-molded construction he renamed the
    design "Petey Dink." Adding to the confusion, there IS a design named
    "Petey Dink" in Motor Boats (see attachments), but it's a flat-bottom
    pram! <whew!>

    So, I've changed the catalog page for Katydidn't/Petey Dink CM in an
    attempt to clear up the confusion. If you build from the original,
    strip-planked construction drawings by William, you're building a
    Katydidn't, if you use John's cold-molded construction drawings, you're
    building a Petey Dink CM. Is that clear? <g>

    http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Dinks/PeteyDinkCm.html

    --
    John (jkohnen@...)
    When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know