Re: boat choice

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
      I didn't think of strip planking. Of the three a strip planked Tanja "tastes" the best for a steam engine.

      Mike Dolph

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
        Is the propeller part of a kit you're building the engine from? If you
        don't already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15" one, and
        even if you've got one you might be able to use it as trading stiock.
        Steam engines like big, slow propellers, but the right propeller for the
        job depends not only on the engine, but also the boat and the speed you
        want to go. 15" x 22" might be just right for the typical heavy
        displacement launch people usually put steam engines into, but it might
        not be best for a lighter boat like Seven Days, so you might be able to
        use a smaller propeller to advantage -- and shallower draft.

        As someone mentioned, Dave Gerr wrote a whole book on propeller selection:

        http://preview.tinyurl.com/334jmb8

        What steam engine are you building, Mark?

        On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:44:59 -0700, mark wrote:

        > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
        > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller.

        John (jkohnen@...)
        One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
        by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)
      • mark ellefson
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 26, 2010
          Thanks again,
          It now seems that "Seven Days" is best for me to build.  (My wife liked it too.  Last time we both liked the same thing we bought a house!)  I ordered the Propeller handbook to study up.  I'll be curious to see if the choice changes.

          I'm building the Hasbrouck Engine #5, a 2-1/2 to 3 HP double acting  2" dia. by 2-1/2" stroke, twin cylinder.  It doesn't require castings and only needs a 9" lathe and a mill.  I've completed most of the lathe parts, but don't have a mill yet.  Do you know of any for sale in the midwest?

          Mark
          On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
          Is the propeller part of a kit you're building the engine from? If you
          don't already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15" one, and
          even if you've got one you might be able to use it as trading stiock.
          Steam engines like big, slow propellers, but the right propeller for the
          job depends not only on the engine, but also the boat and the speed you
          want to go. 15" x 22" might be just right for the typical heavy
          displacement launch people usually put steam engines into, but it might
          not be best for a lighter boat like Seven Days, so you might be able to
          use a smaller propeller to advantage -- and shallower draft.

          As someone mentioned, Dave Gerr wrote a whole book on propeller selection:

          http://preview.tinyurl.com/334jmb8

          What steam engine are you building, Mark?

          On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:44:59 -0700, mark wrote:

          > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
          > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller.

          John (jkohnen@...)
          One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
          by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)

          ------------------------------------

          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings: