Launched at last!

  • Brandon F
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2010
      I wanted to let everyone know that I launched Ravn last Saturday. She is a Valgerda (http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Valgerda.html) and it took me about three years to build her. Her launch was 363 days after I turned the hull over, but who's counting. I still need to build her mast, boom, spar, rudder and tiller as well as a set of 10-foot oars (I'm borrowing a pair of nine footers and I think I'd like them a little longer).

      I launched before I was completely done because I promised the folks at the Toledo (Oregon) Wooden Boat Festival that I would have her in the show, but I'm glad I did. I've had a blast rowing her and just messing around! True to her Viking heritage she is a stellar performer under oars.

      She is also much more stable than I imagined. I took her out this evening on the lake near my home with two grandkids, my wife and daughter. At one time four out of the five of the crew were standing up and walking around on the boat and it didn't feel tippy at all.

      To see pictures of the launch go to my blog at http://valgerda.blogspot.com/

      Brandon, Lincoln City, Oregon
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25, 2010
      • 1 Attachment
      • 110 KB
      Congratulations, Brandon! She's a beauty! :o) Brandon also had his coming
      out as a Coot at the Boat Show. <g> There were two modified Valgerdas at
      Toledo this year, here's something about the other (which was mine until a
      few months ago):

      http://www.dory-man.blogspot.com/

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes. (Henry David