Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: boat choice

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
      Tanja is conventional carvel (smooth skin) construction, 3/4" planks over
      bent oak frames. In the Old Days every boatshop around could knock out
      hull's like Tanja's, but she'd be difficult for a beginning amateur
      builder today, though plenty of beginners over the years have built boats
      like her. Nowadays most people would keep a 17' boat on a trailer, and
      carvel construction doesn't like living on a trailer. With her heavy
      build, Tanja would be a good boat to build with strip planking, sheathed
      with fiberglass just on the outside (not like a stripper canoe, glassed
      inside and out), if she was going to be kept on a trailer.

      I think Seven Days might be a good boat to think about, Mark. She's
      designed to carry a heavy powerplant (Universal Fisherman, almost 300 lb.
      with reverse gear) and isn't intended to pushed much past "hull speed."
      You'd have to make a deeper skeg to accommodate your big propeller, but
      otherwise she should work fine. She's designed for either lapstrake or
      batten-seam side planking and and fore-and-aft batten-seam bottom
      planking, which will tolerate being trailered, though I'd advise using
      plywood at least on the bottom if she's gonna live on a trailer.
      Converting Seven Days to plywood planking throughout would be a snap:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SevenDays.html

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
      • 1 Attachment
      • 28 KB
      I don't agree that Tanja would need to be built by a professional, but she
      would be a lot for an inexperienced amateur to take on. I've got better
      scans of the power dory, Cod, if Mark wants to try building her. She's
      somewhere between Seven Days and Tanja in building difficulty.

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.
      Message 3 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
        I didn't think of strip planking. Of the three a strip planked Tanja "tastes" the best for a steam engine.

        Mike Dolph

        Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
          Is the propeller part of a kit you're building the engine from? If you
          don't already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15" one, and
          even if you've got one you might be able to use it as trading stiock.
          Steam engines like big, slow propellers, but the right propeller for the
          job depends not only on the engine, but also the boat and the speed you
          want to go. 15" x 22" might be just right for the typical heavy
          displacement launch people usually put steam engines into, but it might
          not be best for a lighter boat like Seven Days, so you might be able to
          use a smaller propeller to advantage -- and shallower draft.

          As someone mentioned, Dave Gerr wrote a whole book on propeller selection:

          http://preview.tinyurl.com/334jmb8

          What steam engine are you building, Mark?

          On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:44:59 -0700, mark wrote:

          > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
          > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller.

          John (jkohnen@...)
          One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
          by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)
        • mark ellefson
          Message 5 of 13 , Aug 26, 2010
            Thanks again,
            It now seems that "Seven Days" is best for me to build.  (My wife liked it too.  Last time we both liked the same thing we bought a house!)  I ordered the Propeller handbook to study up.  I'll be curious to see if the choice changes.

            I'm building the Hasbrouck Engine #5, a 2-1/2 to 3 HP double acting  2" dia. by 2-1/2" stroke, twin cylinder.  It doesn't require castings and only needs a 9" lathe and a mill.  I've completed most of the lathe parts, but don't have a mill yet.  Do you know of any for sale in the midwest?

            Mark
            On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
            Is the propeller part of a kit you're building the engine from? If you
            don't already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15" one, and
            even if you've got one you might be able to use it as trading stiock.
            Steam engines like big, slow propellers, but the right propeller for the
            job depends not only on the engine, but also the boat and the speed you
            want to go. 15" x 22" might be just right for the typical heavy
            displacement launch people usually put steam engines into, but it might
            not be best for a lighter boat like Seven Days, so you might be able to
            use a smaller propeller to advantage -- and shallower draft.

            As someone mentioned, Dave Gerr wrote a whole book on propeller selection:

            http://preview.tinyurl.com/334jmb8

            What steam engine are you building, Mark?

            On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:44:59 -0700, mark wrote:

            > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
            > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller.

            John (jkohnen@...)
            One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
            by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)

            ------------------------------------

            <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings: