Re: boat choice

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
      Tanja would need a professional builder. If you can't afford Joel White or someone of his stature it's probably not the boat for you. I looked up a possible alternative; not an Atkins design unfortunately. It's a power dory the plans of which are free but somewhat involved to obtain. Go to GoogleBooks and search "rudder", you will get the 1922 compilation of Rudder Magazine,when you have the 1922 yearbook in front of you look in the upper left of the page and click on "about this book", near the bottom of this page there will be a section for "other books like this" or something similar. Click on the small link to "view all" and you will find 4 pages of other links for Rudder, two of them will be for 1910. The second half of the 1910 year will have building plans on page 202 for a lapstrake power dory designed by Fred Goeller who was a very successful New York builder who contributed many designs to Rudder. That one might be built in plywood. It's 18 feet and narrower at the waterline than Tanja but it's right for your engine I think. There, the world has my last secret! Well maybe everyone knew but I haven't seen anyone mention Rudder on GoogleBooks before. I hope this helps.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
        Tanja is conventional carvel (smooth skin) construction, 3/4" planks over
        bent oak frames. In the Old Days every boatshop around could knock out
        hull's like Tanja's, but she'd be difficult for a beginning amateur
        builder today, though plenty of beginners over the years have built boats
        like her. Nowadays most people would keep a 17' boat on a trailer, and
        carvel construction doesn't like living on a trailer. With her heavy
        build, Tanja would be a good boat to build with strip planking, sheathed
        with fiberglass just on the outside (not like a stripper canoe, glassed
        inside and out), if she was going to be kept on a trailer.

        I think Seven Days might be a good boat to think about, Mark. She's
        designed to carry a heavy powerplant (Universal Fisherman, almost 300 lb.
        with reverse gear) and isn't intended to pushed much past "hull speed."
        You'd have to make a deeper skeg to accommodate your big propeller, but
        otherwise she should work fine. She's designed for either lapstrake or
        batten-seam side planking and and fore-and-aft batten-seam bottom
        planking, which will tolerate being trailered, though I'd advise using
        plywood at least on the bottom if she's gonna live on a trailer.
        Converting Seven Days to plywood planking throughout would be a snap:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SevenDays.html

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
        I don't agree that Tanja would need to be built by a professional, but she
        would be a lot for an inexperienced amateur to take on. I've got better
        scans of the power dory, Cod, if Mark wants to try building her. She's
        somewhere between Seven Days and Tanja in building difficulty.

        On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:18:35 -0700, Mike wrote:

        > Tanja would need a professional builder. If you can't afford Joel White
        > or someone of his stature it's probably not the boat for you. I looked
        > up a possible alternative; not an Atkins design unfortunately....

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.
        (Robert A. Heinlein)
      • Mike
        Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
          I didn't think of strip planking. Of the three a strip planked Tanja "tastes" the best for a steam engine.

          Mike Dolph

          Message 5 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
            Is the propeller part of a kit you're building the engine from? If you
            don't already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15" one, and
            even if you've got one you might be able to use it as trading stiock.
            Steam engines like big, slow propellers, but the right propeller for the
            job depends not only on the engine, but also the boat and the speed you
            want to go. 15" x 22" might be just right for the typical heavy
            displacement launch people usually put steam engines into, but it might
            not be best for a lighter boat like Seven Days, so you might be able to
            use a smaller propeller to advantage -- and shallower draft.

            As someone mentioned, Dave Gerr wrote a whole book on propeller selection:

            http://preview.tinyurl.com/334jmb8

            What steam engine are you building, Mark?

            On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:44:59 -0700, mark wrote:

            > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
            > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller.

            John (jkohnen@...)
            One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
            by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)
          • mark ellefson
            Message 6 of 13 , Aug 26, 2010
              Thanks again,
              It now seems that "Seven Days" is best for me to build.  (My wife liked it too.  Last time we both liked the same thing we bought a house!)  I ordered the Propeller handbook to study up.  I'll be curious to see if the choice changes.

              I'm building the Hasbrouck Engine #5, a 2-1/2 to 3 HP double acting  2" dia. by 2-1/2" stroke, twin cylinder.  It doesn't require castings and only needs a 9" lathe and a mill.  I've completed most of the lathe parts, but don't have a mill yet.  Do you know of any for sale in the midwest?

              Mark
              On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
              Is the propeller part of a kit you're building the engine from? If you
              don't already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15" one, and
              even if you've got one you might be able to use it as trading stiock.
              Steam engines like big, slow propellers, but the right propeller for the
              job depends not only on the engine, but also the boat and the speed you
              want to go. 15" x 22" might be just right for the typical heavy
              displacement launch people usually put steam engines into, but it might
              not be best for a lighter boat like Seven Days, so you might be able to
              use a smaller propeller to advantage -- and shallower draft.

              As someone mentioned, Dave Gerr wrote a whole book on propeller selection:

              http://preview.tinyurl.com/334jmb8

              What steam engine are you building, Mark?

              On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:44:59 -0700, mark wrote:

              > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
              > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller.

              John (jkohnen@...)
              One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
              by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)

              ------------------------------------

              <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings: