Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [AtkinBoats] boat choice

Expand Messages
  • mark ellefson
    Yes, I have considered a paddlewheeler that would fit in my garage, but I prefer a propeller type. Mark ... Yes, I have considered a paddlewheeler that would
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Yes, I have considered a paddlewheeler that would fit in my garage, but I prefer a propeller type.
       
      Mark


       
      On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Alan Boman <alan@...> wrote:
       

      Have you considered a paddle wheeler ?

       

      Low revs and high torque are ideal. Atkin’s “Lady of the Lake” is a bit longer than you had in mind, but it would work really well.

       

      Alan

       

       

      From: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of marke
      Sent: Wednesday, 25 August 2010 12:15 AM


      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] boat choice

       

       

      I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller. Now I'm trying to choose a boat to build. I bought study plans for Twinkle but they didn't indicate if the prop would fit. I like the shallow draft feature but need to know which boat will accomodate my engine and prop before I order more plans. I am also restricted to not more than 20 ft. long. Can anyone help me?



      Thanks for any tips,
      Mark Ellefson


    • mark ellefson
      Thanks to all of you for the advice. Tanja was one of the boats I ve been considering and will probably build when I get ready. What type of construction
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        Thanks to all of you for the advice.  Tanja was one of the boats I've been considering and will probably build when I get ready.  What type of construction does she use?  I'm a little bit concerned about how difficult it is to build since nothing was said.  I'm good with tools but have never built a boat before.
         
        Mark

        On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Mike <johndolph@...> wrote:
         

        The only boat in the catalog well suited to that sort of high torque low speed power is Tanja. I think she would make a beautiful sight to see propelled by your engine. Some of the larger boats might take the wheel but they were designed for more HP at higher revolutions and performance would be poor. Do not be overly concerned about propeller distance from the hull along the shaft line at those rpm's of course you need clearance between the blade tips and the bottom of the stern but not much.

        John Dolph



        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "marke" <rowcycle@...> wrote:
        >
        > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller. Now I'm trying to choose a boat to build. I bought study plans for Twinkle but they didn't indicate if the prop would fit. I like the shallow draft feature but need to know which boat will accomodate my engine and prop before I order more plans. I am also restricted to not more than 20 ft. long. Can anyone help me?
        >
        > Thanks for any tips,
        > Mark Ellefson
        >


      • Mike
        Tanja would need a professional builder. If you can t afford Joel White or someone of his stature it s probably not the boat for you. I looked up a possible
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Tanja would need a professional builder. If you can't afford Joel White or someone of his stature it's probably not the boat for you. I looked up a possible alternative; not an Atkins design unfortunately. It's a power dory the plans of which are free but somewhat involved to obtain. Go to GoogleBooks and search "rudder", you will get the 1922 compilation of Rudder Magazine,when you have the 1922 yearbook in front of you look in the upper left of the page and click on "about this book", near the bottom of this page there will be a section for "other books like this" or something similar. Click on the small link to "view all" and you will find 4 pages of other links for Rudder, two of them will be for 1910. The second half of the 1910 year will have building plans on page 202 for a lapstrake power dory designed by Fred Goeller who was a very successful New York builder who contributed many designs to Rudder. That one might be built in plywood. It's 18 feet and narrower at the waterline than Tanja but it's right for your engine I think. There, the world has my last secret! Well maybe everyone knew but I haven't seen anyone mention Rudder on GoogleBooks before. I hope this helps.

          Mike

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, mark ellefson <rowcycle@...> wrote:
          >
          > Thanks to all of you for the advice. Tanja was one of the boats I've been
          > considering and will probably build when I get ready. What type of
          > construction does she use? I'm a little bit concerned about how difficult
          > it is to build since nothing was said. I'm good with tools but have never
          > built a boat before.
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Mike <johndolph@...> wrote:
          >
          > >
          > >
          > > The only boat in the catalog well suited to that sort of high torque low
          > > speed power is Tanja. I think she would make a beautiful sight to see
          > > propelled by your engine. Some of the larger boats might take the wheel but
          > > they were designed for more HP at higher revolutions and performance would
          > > be poor. Do not be overly concerned about propeller distance from the hull
          > > along the shaft line at those rpm's of course you need clearance between the
          > > blade tips and the bottom of the stern but not much.
          > >
          > > John Dolph
          > >
          > >
          > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com <AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com>, "marke"
          > > <rowcycle@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
          > > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller. Now I'm trying
          > > to choose a boat to build. I bought study plans for Twinkle but they didn't
          > > indicate if the prop would fit. I like the shallow draft feature but need to
          > > know which boat will accomodate my engine and prop before I order more
          > > plans. I am also restricted to not more than 20 ft. long. Can anyone help
          > > me?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for any tips,
          > > > Mark Ellefson
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
        • John Kohnen
          Tanja is conventional carvel (smooth skin) construction, 3/4 planks over bent oak frames. In the Old Days every boatshop around could knock out hull s like
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            Tanja is conventional carvel (smooth skin) construction, 3/4" planks over
            bent oak frames. In the Old Days every boatshop around could knock out
            hull's like Tanja's, but she'd be difficult for a beginning amateur
            builder today, though plenty of beginners over the years have built boats
            like her. Nowadays most people would keep a 17' boat on a trailer, and
            carvel construction doesn't like living on a trailer. With her heavy
            build, Tanja would be a good boat to build with strip planking, sheathed
            with fiberglass just on the outside (not like a stripper canoe, glassed
            inside and out), if she was going to be kept on a trailer.

            I think Seven Days might be a good boat to think about, Mark. She's
            designed to carry a heavy powerplant (Universal Fisherman, almost 300 lb.
            with reverse gear) and isn't intended to pushed much past "hull speed."
            You'd have to make a deeper skeg to accommodate your big propeller, but
            otherwise she should work fine. She's designed for either lapstrake or
            batten-seam side planking and and fore-and-aft batten-seam bottom
            planking, which will tolerate being trailered, though I'd advise using
            plywood at least on the bottom if she's gonna live on a trailer.
            Converting Seven Days to plywood planking throughout would be a snap:

            http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SevenDays.html

            On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:52:26 -0700, mark e wrote:

            > Thanks to all of you for the advice. Tanja was one of the boats I've
            > been
            > considering and will probably build when I get ready. What type of
            > construction does she use? I'm a little bit concerned about how
            > difficult
            > it is to build since nothing was said. I'm good with tools but have
            > never
            > built a boat before.

            --
            John (jkohnen@...)
            A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
            a superstition. (Jose Bergamin)
          • John Kohnen
            I don t agree that Tanja would need to be built by a professional, but she would be a lot for an inexperienced amateur to take on. I ve got better scans of the
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
            • 1 Attachment
            • 28 KB
            I don't agree that Tanja would need to be built by a professional, but she
            would be a lot for an inexperienced amateur to take on. I've got better
            scans of the power dory, Cod, if Mark wants to try building her. She's
            somewhere between Seven Days and Tanja in building difficulty.

            On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:18:35 -0700, Mike wrote:

            > Tanja would need a professional builder. If you can't afford Joel White
            > or someone of his stature it's probably not the boat for you. I looked
            > up a possible alternative; not an Atkins design unfortunately....


            --
            John (jkohnen@...)
            A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.
            (Robert A. Heinlein)
          • Mike
            I didn t think of strip planking. Of the three a strip planked Tanja tastes the best for a steam engine. Mike Dolph
            Message 6 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              I didn't think of strip planking. Of the three a strip planked Tanja "tastes" the best for a steam engine.

              Mike Dolph

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@...> wrote:
              >
              > I don't agree that Tanja would need to be built by a professional, but she
              > would be a lot for an inexperienced amateur to take on. I've got better
              > scans of the power dory, Cod, if Mark wants to try building her. She's
              > somewhere between Seven Days and Tanja in building difficulty.
              >
              > On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:18:35 -0700, Mike wrote:
              >
              > > Tanja would need a professional builder. If you can't afford Joel White
              > > or someone of his stature it's probably not the boat for you. I looked
              > > up a possible alternative; not an Atkins design unfortunately....
              >
              >
              > --
              > John (jkohnen@...)
              > A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.
              > (Robert A. Heinlein)
              >
            • John Kohnen
              Is the propeller part of a kit you re building the engine from? If you don t already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15 one, and even if you ve
              Message 7 of 13 , Aug 25, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                Is the propeller part of a kit you're building the engine from? If you
                don't already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15" one, and
                even if you've got one you might be able to use it as trading stiock.
                Steam engines like big, slow propellers, but the right propeller for the
                job depends not only on the engine, but also the boat and the speed you
                want to go. 15" x 22" might be just right for the typical heavy
                displacement launch people usually put steam engines into, but it might
                not be best for a lighter boat like Seven Days, so you might be able to
                use a smaller propeller to advantage -- and shallower draft.

                As someone mentioned, Dave Gerr wrote a whole book on propeller selection:

                http://preview.tinyurl.com/334jmb8

                What steam engine are you building, Mark?

                On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:44:59 -0700, mark wrote:

                > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
                > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller.
                > ...

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
                by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)
              • mark ellefson
                Thanks again, It now seems that Seven Days is best for me to build. (My wife liked it too. Last time we both liked the same thing we bought a house!) I
                Message 8 of 13 , Aug 26, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  Thanks again,
                  It now seems that "Seven Days" is best for me to build.  (My wife liked it too.  Last time we both liked the same thing we bought a house!)  I ordered the Propeller handbook to study up.  I'll be curious to see if the choice changes.
                   
                  I'm building the Hasbrouck Engine #5, a 2-1/2 to 3 HP double acting  2" dia. by 2-1/2" stroke, twin cylinder.  It doesn't require castings and only needs a 9" lathe and a mill.  I've completed most of the lathe parts, but don't have a mill yet.  Do you know of any for sale in the midwest?
                   
                  Mark
                  On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
                  Is the propeller part of a kit you're building the engine from? If you
                  don't already have the propeller, you may not need to use a 15" one, and
                  even if you've got one you might be able to use it as trading stiock.
                  Steam engines like big, slow propellers, but the right propeller for the
                  job depends not only on the engine, but also the boat and the speed you
                  want to go. 15" x 22" might be just right for the typical heavy
                  displacement launch people usually put steam engines into, but it might
                  not be best for a lighter boat like Seven Days, so you might be able to
                  use a smaller propeller to advantage -- and shallower draft.

                  As someone mentioned, Dave Gerr wrote a whole book on propeller selection:

                  http://preview.tinyurl.com/334jmb8

                  What steam engine are you building, Mark?

                  On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:44:59 -0700, mark wrote:

                  > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
                  > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller.
                  > ...

                  --
                  John (jkohnen@...)
                  One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
                  by Dickens without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)


                  ------------------------------------

                  No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.

                  If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

                  The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
                  <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats/

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats/join
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     AtkinBoats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     AtkinBoats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                     AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.